Connect with us
[bsa_pro_ad_space id=12]

Community

More than 100 years of history at Sylvan Lake’s Hazzard County

Published

Here’s some history from the Sylvan Lake and District Archives about one of Sylvan Lake’s oldest buildings, what is now the Hazzard County Bar and Grill.  Continuously operated since being built over a century ago, this building on 46th Avenue started out as Dingwall’s Boarding House.

Enjoy this local history story and stop by for a cool drink next time you’re at Sylvan Lake. 

James Dingwall Family

By Alex Dingwall and Lillian Duffield

James Alexander Dingwall and Catherine Ann McCrimmon were married in 1908 in Glengarry County, Ontario. They had two children, a son, Alexander, born March 27, 1909 and a daughter, Helen, born April 24, 1911.

The family moved west to Red Deer in 1913. Mr. Dingwall worked for Great West Lumber Co., which firm operated a saw mill on the Red Deer River.

On April 17, 1917, the family moved to Sylvan Lake where they operated the first Dingwall Boarding House. Mr. Joe Rosse had a store in the front part of the building. This building was destroyed by fire on January 21, 1921, when a gasoline lamp exploded. It was rebuilt in 1921 and this building still stands. At present (1984), the P&F Offshore Grocery occupies part of the premises.

The Dingwalls catered to CNR freight train crews hauling coal from Nordegg Mines. There were 14 to 16 trains a day at that time. Many boarders enjoyed the sumptuous meals served by the Dignwalls. Some of these were Dr. E.K. Wright, who organized the first Sunday School in Sylvan Lake; school teachers, Miss Spicer, Miss Baker, Miss Buzzard, Mr. Les Matheson and others. Also, the late Jack Penley, who operated Varsity Dance Hall for many years, and members of his orchestra boarded at the Dingwalls. Many free meals were handed out to those in need during the depression years. Mr. Dingwall’s beautiful big garden helped supply food for the table.

Both Mr. and Mrs. Dingwall were faithful church workers. Mr. Dingwall looked after the heating of the church and hall for many years. When the basement flooded and caved in, Mr. Dingwall built the new foundation. Mrs. Dingwall was a member of the Ladies’ Aid and worked hard for the turkey suppers sponsored by that group. She was on the committee in the early days that acquired the church bell and this bell still hangs in the new church belfry. Mrs. Dingwall was also responsible for obtaining a building, donated to her by Mr. Z. Mederis, which was moved in beside the church to be used as a Sunday School Hall for many years. Ladies’ Aid meetings, teas, and turkey suppers were held in this hall as well as many other functions.

Mrs. Dingwall was also a faithful member and worker for the Women’s Institute and served as president for a number of years.

The Dingwall’s son, Alexander (Alex) Edgar Dingwall, married Evaline Mina Byers of Sylvan Lake on August 31, 1940. He served five years with the Canadian Forces in the Second World War and saw service in England and Italy. On his return in 1945, he and wife Eve made their home in Red Deer where he was employed for 30 years at Red Deer Motors. They obtained a home through the V.L.A. at 3511-44 Avenue in 1949 and still reside there. Alex and Eve have two daughters.

Susan Catherine, born April 15, 1948, married Syd Nichols of the Willowdale District and they now farm four miles east of Rocky Mountain House. They have two daughters, Janet and Laurie.

Mary Louise was born August 28, 1949. She married Gordon Dolling (son of a former Sylvan Lake councilor) and they live in Fort McMurray. They have two sons, Jimmy and Darin.

The Dingwall’s daughter, Helen Barbara Dingwall, married Robert Thompson of Calgary on September 12, 1945. They moved to Vancouver, Washington, where Helen still resides. Robert passed away in January, 1982. They have one daughter, Shirley Ann, who is married and has two sons. They live 20 miles from Helen.

Another early Sylvan Lake family was Mr. and Mrs. F.D. McCrimmon, who were doubly related to the Dingwalls. Mrs. McCrimmon was Mr. Jim Dingwall’s sister and Mr. F.D. McCrimmon was Mrs. Jim Dingwall’s brother.

They also had a sister, Mrs. Mary Bell (McCrimmon) Falkner, who resided in Sylvan Lake for many years.

Mr. Jim Dingwall passed away on July 27, 1954 at the Red Deer Hospital. Mrs. Dingwall passed away in the Rimbey Nursing Home on February 28, 1960. They are both buried in the Sylvan Lake Cemetery.

from:  Reflections of Sylvan Lake, pp. 178-179 — Copyright Sylvan Lake Historical Society 1984

Read more stories about Sylvan Lake, Alberta.  Click here.

Community

Armed Forces bring Grey Cup to Red Deer tomorrow (Friday)

Published

on

3rd Annual Operation Tea Cup

Red Deer, AB – The Calgary Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC) is proud to announce the third annual Operation Tea Cup

WHAT:
For one day only, the Grey Cup is coming to Red Deer!

Delivered by military vehicles and escorted by members of the Canadian Armed Forces, the Grey Cup will be arriving at the Cormack Armoury and presented to Her Honour, the Honourable Lois E. Mitchell.

The Grey Cup is one of three cups donated by Lord Earl Grey to various sports organizations in recognition of athletic excellence. A second of these cups resides right here in Red Deer! Learn about the rich military history of these cups and be a part of history as these two cups are reunited by Her Honour, the Honourable Lois E. Mitchell.

In collaboration with our outstanding community partners, this multi-event day including a grey cup tour and private party raises awareness for our Canadian Forces and their deep-rooted connection to the Grey Cup. All proceeds are donated to our local Military Family Resource Centre (MFRC) to support military families throughout Central Alberta.

WHERE:
Cormack Armoury
4402 55 Street – Red Deer

WHEN:
Cup Presentations to Her Honour followed by Media: 3:15 p.m.  Friday, September 13, 2019

About the Calgary MFRC
The Calgary MFRC supports families of our Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members within our service area of Southern Alberta, including Red Deer and Lethbridge. Our CAF soldiers, veterans and their family members face unique challenges that make being in the military an occupation different from any other. At the MFRC we aim to help lessen the impact of these unique challenges, which includes frequent separations, extended deployments and risks. The MFRC is a registered charity run by a volunteer board of directors that was started in 1991 by the Department of National Defense in conjunction with the Military Family Support Program. To learn more, visit calgarymfrc.ca.

About the Red Deer Office
The MFRC works to empower and support our military families. We offer a variety of programs and services including mental health supports, social activities, workshops and training, family separation and reunification support, deployment support, children and youth programs, and referral services to help. Our families are the strength behind the uniform, and we’re here for them.

The Calgary MFRC has satellite offices in both Red Deer and Lethbridge. Each office caters to the specific needs of the forces in their areas. The Red Deer Branch is based at the Cormack Armory and serves a large part of Central Alberta.

Central Alberta is home to over 60 military families. The Canadian Forces in Red Deer consist of the Primary Reserve 78th Field Battery, which is part of the 20th Field Artillery Regiment, Royal Canadian Artillery, and the 2 Squadron, 41 Signal Regiment Reserve Force communications unit who provides communication information systems, strategic infrastructure services and support to 41 Canadian Brigade Group. Both units also operate out of Cormack Armory in Red Deer.

Continue Reading

Community

11 PEOPLE IN EDMONTON. EVERY DAY COMMIT …

Published

on

Continue Reading

september, 2019

tue06augAll Daysun29sepHot Mess - Erin Boake featured at Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery(All Day)

Trending

X