Connect with us

Alberta

Red Deer Regional Hospital redevelopment cash needed now – Rachel Notley

Published

2 minute read

From the Alberta NDP

KENNEY MUST REVERSE HIS BROKEN PROMISE AND FUND THE REDEVELOPMENT OF THE RED DEER REGIONAL HOSPITAL: NDP

Alberta’s NDP are calling on Premier Jason Kenney to fund the redevelopment of the Red Deer Regional Hospital after breaking his promise to do so by not funding the project in this year’s budget.

In February 2020, Kenney promised $100 million towards a full redevelopment project with construction starting in 2021. However, the UCP’s most recent Capital Plan only provided $5 million for the hospital redevelopment this year.

“You cannot start construction on the expansion of a major hospital with $5 million. Promise made, promise broken by Jason Kenney,” said NDP Leader Rachel Notley.

“Red Deer Regional Hospital is a crucial healthcare facility, not just for the people of the City of Red Deer, but for families right across Central Alberta. But the city and the region have outgrown the hospital. We need more capacity in the emergency department and we need more specialized care,” said NDP Infrastructure Critic Thomas Dang.

“Now more than ever we all understand just how critical hospital capacity is. Jason Kenney promised to redevelop the Red Deer Hospital, but like so many of his promises, he has failed to deliver.”

Red Deer Hospital did not receive the promised funding to begin construction despite UCP MLA for Red Deer-South Jason Stephan campaigning on a promise to advocate for an expanded hospital.

“Jason Stephan has spent more of his time seeking to expand the number of people who will need the current hospital rather than expanding the actual hospital. He took an international Christmas vacation while the rest of us were locked down and many Alberta families made excruciating sacrifices. Now he’s publicly undermining the health measures that we all need to uphold to keep our families friends and communities safe,” said Notley.

“It’s an incredible failure of leadership from Jason Kenney to abandon his promise to the people of Red Deer to expand this hospital and then allow a quarter of his caucus to put lives at risk in Red Deer and across Alberta.”

Todayville is a digital media and technology company. We profile unique stories and events in our community. Register and promote your community event for free.

Follow Author

Alberta

Appeal Court rejects stay for Alberta couple facing third trial in son's death

Published on

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — The Court of Appeal of Alberta has rejected a request that a third trial be stayed for a couple accused in their son’s death.

Lawyers for David and Collet Stephan had requested proceedings be put on hold while they seek leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada a decision ordering another trial.

“That stay application was heard recently and it was dismissed,” Collet Stephan’s lawyer, Jason Demers, told a Lethbridge, Alta., court on Monday. 

“But leave was granted to reapply pending the results of our leave application that we filed with the Supreme Court on April 30.” 

Demers said the Supreme Court received the couple’s leave request earlier this month, but he’s not expecting the high court to decide whether it will hear the application until August or September.

The Stephans were accused in their earlier trials of not seeking medical attention sooner. They testified that they were treating their 18-month-old son, Ezekiel, with natural remedies before he died in 2012 for what they thought was croup. 

Demers said it’s likely the third trial would take eight weeks to complete.

The Crown indicated it was interested in setting a new trial date as soon as possible, but the defence objected to that.

“The two trials were similar but the witness list was quite different. I don’t know what the third trial is going to look like. I need witness lists. I need to know what the issues are,” said lawyer Shawn Buckley, who was representing David Stephan.

The Stephans have requested that a case management judge be appointed to guide the matter until a trial is held.

The case is to be back in court June 28.

The Stephans appeared via video on Monday.

In a text to The Canadian Press, David Stephan expressed his disappointment with the Appeal Court ruling.

“We will now have to prepare for both Supreme Court and a third trial at the same time,” he wrote.

A jury first convicted the couple in 2016 of failing to provide the necessaries of life. But the Supreme Court overturned that verdict and ordered a second trial. A judge hearing the case without a jury found them not guilty in 2019. 

Earlier this year, the Alberta Court of Appeal granted a request by the Crown to overturn the acquittal and ordered another trial. 

The Stephans have testified that they thought Ezekiel had croup, an upper airway infection, and treated him with natural remedies, including smoothies with tinctures of garlic, onion and horseradish. 

They said he appeared to be recovering at times and they saw no reason to take him to hospital, despite his having a fever and lacking energy. They called an ambulance when the boy stopped breathing. 

In acquitting them at their second trial, Justice Terry Clackson accepted the testimony of a defence expert, who said the boy died of a lack of oxygen, not bacterial meningitis as reported by Dr. Bamidele Adeagbo, the original medical examiner. 

Clackson noted in his decision that Adeagbo, who was born in Nigeria, spoke with an accent and was difficult to understand and called him out for his “body language and physical antics.” 

In ordering a third trial, the Appeal Court judges said the medical examiner’s speech and body language were irrelevant, and the judge’s comments gave rise to a reasonable apprehension of bias. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 14, 2021.

Bill Graveland, The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Alberta

'So unfair': Métis take Alberta to court over refusal to discuss consultation policy

Published on

EDMONTON — The Métis Nation of Alberta is taking the province to court over what it says is the government’s refusal to bring in an overall policy to consult the group on development projects.

President Audrey Poitras says the Métis had worked out policy after years of talks with two different governments.

She says shortly after the United Conservative Party was elected in 2019, it told the Métis in a one-sentence letter that it wouldn’t be going ahead with the agreement. 

Poitras says the government has ignored requests to get back to negotiations.

She says Alberta Métis have a consultation agreement with the federal government and Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario all have similar deals with Métis people. 

Alberta has individual consultation deals with Métis settlements, but they only represent a small fraction of Métis in the province. 

The government did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

june, 2021

tue04may(may 4)4:57 pmwed30jun(jun 30)12:00 pmMove Your Mood Family Challenge (June)(may 4) 4:57 pm - (june 30) 12:00 pm

Trending

X