By Sheldon Spackman
It was an exciting finish at the Ponoka Recreation and Culture Complex as the hometown Stampeders battled to a shootout finish with the Three Hills Thrashers in Heritage Junior B Hockey League action on Wednesday night.
The Stamps however came up on the short end of the score, falling 3-2 to Three Hills. The loss drops the Stampeders record to 3-11-1 with 7 points on the season so far, good for 7th place or last in the North Division and now on a three-game losing streak. Three Hills improves to 5-7-1 with 11 points and 6th place in the North Division, 4 points ahead of Ponoka.
Ponoka plays next on Wednesday, November 9th when they host the 7-5 Blackfalds Wranglers, while Three Hills hits the ice again on Friday, November 4th when they host the 10-2 Mountainview Colts.
Today: Come meet Red Deer’s Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith
Submitted by Tourism Red Deer
Come celebrate with us and congratulate Red Deer’s own Rebecca Smith.
Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Tourism Red Deer invite you to meet Red Deer’s Summer Olympic Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith!
Rebecca was a part of Team Canada’s 4 x 100-meter freestyle relay swim team at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. She’ll be here to meet, greet, and show off her hardware.
Where: Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, 102-4200 Highway 2, Red Deer
When: Wednesday, August 25, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Access to Dawe Centre pool and community centre affected by expansion project – Details
Limited access to G.H. Dawe Community Centre this summer due to construction
As announced yesterday, City recreation centres are opening fully to the public as of July 1. With construction underway at the G.H. Dawe Community Centre, only limited services and areas will be available.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Starting July 2, fitness and gym areas will open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., daily. In July, summer day camps that normally operate from the Dawe will operate from other facilities.
- The pool will remain closed until September.
- To accommodate interior heating and ventilation construction, the facility will fully close from July 26 to August 31. Some registered preschool and summer camp programming may proceed, but no rental or general admission options will be available.
- On September 1, we anticipate the pool will be open, but some other amenities, like the gym, may not be available. More information will be provided as construction progresses.
- Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
We are currently offering a discounted monthly Value Pass for $27 for adults ($24.50 for seniors; $21.90 for students; $19.30 for youth; $14.20 for children, and $60.50 for a family. It provides unlimited access to all facilities. As of August the Value Pass will only provide access to the Recreation Centre and Michener Aquatic Centre; however, access to the Dawe will be included in the Value pass until the pool, gym and fitness areas are open.
About the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project
Work is underway now on the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project and some exciting changes are in store. We expect to welcome visitors to the transformed space in early 2023. Here’s just some of what you can expect:
- Two NHL standard playing surfaces
- Expanded fitness areas, including a running track
- Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities
- Improved accessibility
- Additional north entrance + site access from 67 Street
- Additional parking
During construction, there will be some changes and impacts to existing amenities and programs, and we’ll do you best to share this information in advance. Thanks for your patience as we complete this work.
For more information about the project, please visit reddeer.ca/DaweProject.
Community22 hours ago
Looking After Myself
Community2 days ago
Changes Coming to Red Deer Festival of Trees
Also Interesting2 days ago
Wild TV launches streaming app for hunting enthusiasts
RDPolytech Athletics2 days ago
Queens and Kings both hosting playoff games this weekend!
Alberta17 hours ago
Red Deer: Alberta RCMP Major Crimes Unit investigate homicide of 2-year-old
Alberta2 days ago
Child stroller, writing book, burnt clothing found near bodies of mother, daughter
Top Story CP2 days ago
Davies leads the way as Canada downs Panama in full-blooded World Cup qualifier
Top Story CP2 days ago
Canada leads world with pledge to curb methane leaks from oil and gas sector