RDC Queens Hockey Team On A Five Game Winning Streak
By Sheldon Spackman
The RDC Queens hockey team continues to ride a wave of momentum, picking up their fifth straight victory Wednesday night, 3-1 over the MacEwan University Griffins at the Enmax Centrium.
The Queens record now improves to 5-2 on the season, good for second place in the ACAC Women’s hockey standings, four points behind league leading NAIT and currently the hottest team in the league. The Queens next action is on Saturday, November 5th when they head up to Edmonton to face the Griffins again.
(Photo courtesy of RDC Athletics)
Today: Come meet Red Deer’s Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith
Submitted by Tourism Red Deer
Come celebrate with us and congratulate Red Deer’s own Rebecca Smith.
Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Tourism Red Deer invite you to meet Red Deer’s Summer Olympic Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith!
Rebecca was a part of Team Canada’s 4 x 100-meter freestyle relay swim team at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. She’ll be here to meet, greet, and show off her hardware.
Where: Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, 102-4200 Highway 2, Red Deer
When: Wednesday, August 25, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
City of Red Deer
Access to Dawe Centre pool and community centre affected by expansion project – Details
Limited access to G.H. Dawe Community Centre this summer due to construction
As announced yesterday, City recreation centres are opening fully to the public as of July 1. With construction underway at the G.H. Dawe Community Centre, only limited services and areas will be available.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Starting July 2, fitness and gym areas will open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., daily. In July, summer day camps that normally operate from the Dawe will operate from other facilities.
- The pool will remain closed until September.
- To accommodate interior heating and ventilation construction, the facility will fully close from July 26 to August 31. Some registered preschool and summer camp programming may proceed, but no rental or general admission options will be available.
- On September 1, we anticipate the pool will be open, but some other amenities, like the gym, may not be available. More information will be provided as construction progresses.
- Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
We are currently offering a discounted monthly Value Pass for $27 for adults ($24.50 for seniors; $21.90 for students; $19.30 for youth; $14.20 for children, and $60.50 for a family. It provides unlimited access to all facilities. As of August the Value Pass will only provide access to the Recreation Centre and Michener Aquatic Centre; however, access to the Dawe will be included in the Value pass until the pool, gym and fitness areas are open.
About the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project
Work is underway now on the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project and some exciting changes are in store. We expect to welcome visitors to the transformed space in early 2023. Here’s just some of what you can expect:
- Two NHL standard playing surfaces
- Expanded fitness areas, including a running track
- Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities
- Improved accessibility
- Additional north entrance + site access from 67 Street
- Additional parking
During construction, there will be some changes and impacts to existing amenities and programs, and we’ll do you best to share this information in advance. Thanks for your patience as we complete this work.
For more information about the project, please visit reddeer.ca/DaweProject.
UPDATE: Red Deer RCMP arrest 31 year old Chad Wickett for conspiracy to commit murder
Edmonton teacher arrested for child luring
How Major Media Suppressed My COVID Journalism
Officials report progress on Alberta wildfires as many evacuees return home
Atlantic10 hours ago
Halifax wildfire still out of control, 14,000 forced from their homes: deputy chief
Sports1 day ago
Blais scores twice, Canada beats Germany 5-2 to win gold at men’s hockey worlds
Brownstone Institute1 day ago
The Best Life Lesson for a Teen Is a Job
Alberta1 day ago
Saskatchewan entrepreneur says government thwarted his ag-plastics recycling business
2023 Election9 hours ago
Some of the memorable comments made during Alberta election campaign
International10 hours ago
Bola Tinubu sworn in as Nigeria’s president amid hopes, skepticism
2023 Election9 hours ago
Election day: Alberta voters go to the polls, expected nail-biter between UCP, NDP
Bjorn Lomborg1 day ago
How to save 4 million lives every year