By Sheldon Spackman
The Olds Grizzlys are back on the ice this weekend for a home game against the Okotoks Oilers.
The Grizzlys are 6-9-2 with 14 points and 7th place in the AJHL’s Viterra South Division. The Oilers are 11-5-1 with 24 points and third in the South Division.
Face-off is 7:00pm on Saturday, Novem,ber 5th at the Olds Sportsplex.
Today: Come meet Red Deer’s Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith
Submitted by Tourism Red Deer
Come celebrate with us and congratulate Red Deer’s own Rebecca Smith.
Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Tourism Red Deer invite you to meet Red Deer’s Summer Olympic Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith!
Rebecca was a part of Team Canada’s 4 x 100-meter freestyle relay swim team at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. She’ll be here to meet, greet, and show off her hardware.
Where: Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, 102-4200 Highway 2, Red Deer
When: Wednesday, August 25, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Access to Dawe Centre pool and community centre affected by expansion project – Details
Limited access to G.H. Dawe Community Centre this summer due to construction
As announced yesterday, City recreation centres are opening fully to the public as of July 1. With construction underway at the G.H. Dawe Community Centre, only limited services and areas will be available.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Starting July 2, fitness and gym areas will open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., daily. In July, summer day camps that normally operate from the Dawe will operate from other facilities.
- The pool will remain closed until September.
- To accommodate interior heating and ventilation construction, the facility will fully close from July 26 to August 31. Some registered preschool and summer camp programming may proceed, but no rental or general admission options will be available.
- On September 1, we anticipate the pool will be open, but some other amenities, like the gym, may not be available. More information will be provided as construction progresses.
- Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
We are currently offering a discounted monthly Value Pass for $27 for adults ($24.50 for seniors; $21.90 for students; $19.30 for youth; $14.20 for children, and $60.50 for a family. It provides unlimited access to all facilities. As of August the Value Pass will only provide access to the Recreation Centre and Michener Aquatic Centre; however, access to the Dawe will be included in the Value pass until the pool, gym and fitness areas are open.
About the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project
Work is underway now on the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project and some exciting changes are in store. We expect to welcome visitors to the transformed space in early 2023. Here’s just some of what you can expect:
- Two NHL standard playing surfaces
- Expanded fitness areas, including a running track
- Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities
- Improved accessibility
- Additional north entrance + site access from 67 Street
- Additional parking
During construction, there will be some changes and impacts to existing amenities and programs, and we’ll do you best to share this information in advance. Thanks for your patience as we complete this work.
For more information about the project, please visit reddeer.ca/DaweProject.
Gerry Feehan19 hours ago
A Necropsy in Friday Harbor
Central Alberta2 days ago
Central Alberta Child Advocacy Centre 50/50 Cash Lottery is Back!
Community2 days ago
REBELS ANNOUNCE ‘FESTIVAL WEEKEND’ IN SUPPORT OF 2021 FESTIVAL OF TREES
Central Alberta1 day ago
Attention young athletes! The Alberta Sport Development Centre is back with new and flexible program options
Bruce Dowbiggin1 day ago
No News Is Good News: When Facts Don’t Matter
Alberta18 hours ago
Hockey Canada reveals three jersey designs for Beijing Olympics
Alberta2 days ago
Alta. oilpatch recruiting in Maritimes again as drilling set to rise in 2022
Community1 day ago
Click to experience 2021 Festival of Trees online!