By Sheldon Spackman
The Olds Grizzlys are hoping to put a stop to their four-game losing streak In Drumheller Saturday night when they face the Dragons.
Olds is 7-13-2 with 16 points and seventh place in the Alberta Junior Hockey League’s Viterra South Division. Drumheller is 10-9-4 with 24 points and sixth place in the South Division, eight points up on the Grizzlys.
Face-off is 7:30pm at the Drumheller Memorial Arena.
Today: Come meet Red Deer’s Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith
Submitted by Tourism Red Deer
Come celebrate with us and congratulate Red Deer’s own Rebecca Smith.
Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Tourism Red Deer invite you to meet Red Deer’s Summer Olympic Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith!
Rebecca was a part of Team Canada’s 4 x 100-meter freestyle relay swim team at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. She’ll be here to meet, greet, and show off her hardware.
Where: Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, 102-4200 Highway 2, Red Deer
When: Wednesday, August 25, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Access to Dawe Centre pool and community centre affected by expansion project – Details
Limited access to G.H. Dawe Community Centre this summer due to construction
As announced yesterday, City recreation centres are opening fully to the public as of July 1. With construction underway at the G.H. Dawe Community Centre, only limited services and areas will be available.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Starting July 2, fitness and gym areas will open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., daily. In July, summer day camps that normally operate from the Dawe will operate from other facilities.
- The pool will remain closed until September.
- To accommodate interior heating and ventilation construction, the facility will fully close from July 26 to August 31. Some registered preschool and summer camp programming may proceed, but no rental or general admission options will be available.
- On September 1, we anticipate the pool will be open, but some other amenities, like the gym, may not be available. More information will be provided as construction progresses.
- Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
We are currently offering a discounted monthly Value Pass for $27 for adults ($24.50 for seniors; $21.90 for students; $19.30 for youth; $14.20 for children, and $60.50 for a family. It provides unlimited access to all facilities. As of August the Value Pass will only provide access to the Recreation Centre and Michener Aquatic Centre; however, access to the Dawe will be included in the Value pass until the pool, gym and fitness areas are open.
About the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project
Work is underway now on the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project and some exciting changes are in store. We expect to welcome visitors to the transformed space in early 2023. Here’s just some of what you can expect:
- Two NHL standard playing surfaces
- Expanded fitness areas, including a running track
- Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities
- Improved accessibility
- Additional north entrance + site access from 67 Street
- Additional parking
During construction, there will be some changes and impacts to existing amenities and programs, and we’ll do you best to share this information in advance. Thanks for your patience as we complete this work.
For more information about the project, please visit reddeer.ca/DaweProject.
Red Deer man in court Monday facing 2nd degree murder charge from October homicide
Report confirms Asia can reduce emissions with Canadian LNG
WestJet announces new flights to Tokyo, Barcelona, and Edinburgh
Iran morality police status unclear after ‘closure’ comment
Alberta2 days ago
Why the Sovereignty Act is good for Alberta – Jason Stephan
Business1 day ago
GRAND OPENING & FOOD DRIVE SUPPORTING RED DEER FOOD BANK
COVID-192 days ago
Most unused COVID-19 vaccines will expire at the end of the year: auditor general
COVID-191 day ago
China eases anti-COVID measures following protests
Business1 day ago
Bank of Canada raises key interest rate by half percentage point
Bruce Dowbiggin2 days ago
Misconduct: NHL Succumbs To Non-Binary Power Play
Business23 hours ago
Canada’s government will review RCMP equipment contract with ties to China: Trudeau
Business20 hours ago
Experts raise concerns as Nigeria limits cash withdrawals