Southern Alberta Crime Reduction Team – Arrest made in theft of tractor, truck from Beiseker
Beiseker, Alberta – Investigators have made an arrest and recovered a tractor and picker truck that were stolen from the Irricana area and Acme earlier this month.
On March 11, Beiseker RCMP received a report of a tractor stolen from a farm near Irricana. Information was received that the tractor may have been transported to Saskatchewan. Beiseker Detachment, Southern Alberta Crime Reduction Team (SACRT) and Southern Alberta Auto Theft combined resources to investigate this matter.
On March 19, a picker truck was taken from an Acme concrete business. Investigators received tips from the public that indicated the same individuals who stole the tractor were also responsible for the theft of this truck. Throughout the next two days, the investigative team progressed the investigation and identified a man from Linden as a suspect.
On March 20, SACRT members located the suspect and recovered the stolen pick up truck in Rosetown Saskatchewan. The stolen tractor was then recovered later that night near the community of Alsask with the cooperation of the suspect.
Both the stolen tractor and truck are being returned to the rightful owners. Charges are pending against a 19-year-old Linden man who has been released on a Promise to appear in Airdrie Provincial Court on May 3. SACRT are also proceeding with charges against a second suspect identified in the case and a warrant for his arrest is expected in the coming days.
“This is a good example of how we can bring investigative support to rural detachments for investigations such as these” Says Brad White, Sergeant in charge of SACRT. “Rural property crimes are tough to solve but sometimes, with the right support from the community and a great team of investigators results like these are possible.”
Rockyview County, Alberta –
Beiseker RCMP are asking for tips from the public after a tractor was stolen from a farm near Irricanna over the weekend.
On 2018-03-11, Beiseker RCMP responded to a complaint of a stolen tractor. Between March 3, 2018 and March 10, 2018, unknown persons stole a 2011 T7-235 New Holland Tractor by loading it onto a flat deck trailer and hauling it away. At the time of the theft, the tractor was outfitted with a 860 TI loader.
Here is a photo of a similar tractor.
Beieseker RCMP are asking anyone with information on this crime to contact the Beiseker RCMP at 403-947-3420.
If you if you want to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1.800.222.8477 (TIPS), by internet at www.tipsubmit.com, or by SMS (check your local Crime Stoppers [www.crimestoppers.ab.ca] for instructions on how). You do not have to reveal your identity to Crime Stoppers, and if you provide information to Crime Stoppers that leads to an arrest(s), the recovery of stolen property, and/or a seizure of illicit drugs, you may be eligible for a cash reward.
Teen found guilty of manslaughter in hit-and-run death of Calgary police officer
Calgary – A judge has found a teen involved in the hit-and-run death of a Calgary police officer guilty of manslaughter.
Sgt. Andrew Harnett died in hospital on Dec. 31, 2020, after being dragged by a fleeing SUV and falling into the path of an oncoming car.
The driver, who cannot be identified because he was 17 at the time, had testified he was scared when Harnett and another officer approached the vehicle during a traffic stop and he saw Harnett put his hand on his gun.
The teen’s lawyer said his client was guilty of manslaughter, but not first-degree murder.
Justice Anna Loparco agreed, saying that although the accused had “outright lied” about the gun, he was in a “panicked state” when he decided to flee and unable to know his actions would cause Harnett’s death.
The Crown says it will be seeking an adult sentence.
Loparco says Harnett’s behaviour was “exemplary” and there was no indication that he posed a threat to the accused.
“There’s no doubt he (the accused) should have realized it was likely to cause death,” Loparco said Thursday.
“But I’m unable to conclude this accused turned his mind to the consequences.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 10, 2022.
‘He’s not breathing’: Trial begins for Calgary man accused in infant’s death
By Colette Derworiz in Calgary
A Calgary father has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the death of his infant son, as court heard the man’s 911 call in which he said he was trying to calm the baby down.
The trial for Anthony Karl Kurucz, 32, started Monday in the Court of King’s Bench in Calgary. It is scheduled to run for almost three weeks.
Police have said emergency crews were called to a Calgary home in April 2018 to help a three-month-old in medical distress and that Kurucz was alone with his son at the time. The infant, Jayden Cyluck-Kurucz, was unconscious and he died in hospital two days later.
Kurucz was charged in September 2019 after police said the story he provided to medical staff was inconsistent with the boy’s symptoms.
On Monday, court heard a recording of the 911 call from Kurucz that came in around 12:15 p.m. on April 25, 2018.
“My baby was freaking out,” Kurucz said on the call. “I was trying to calm him down, rock him, that kind of thing.”
He said there was blood coming out of his son’s nose.
“I’m freaking out because my wife just went to take our dog to the vet,” Kurucz said.
He told the dispatcher he believed the boy’s heart was still beating.
“He’s very floppy, he’s very limp,” said Kurucz.
When asked by the dispatcher whether the baby was breathing, he responded: “I can’t tell. I know his heart is beating, though.”
He then asked whether his son was going to live.
“I don’t know what to do,” said Kurucz on the call. “I didn’t do anything wrong to him. I was just trying to calm him down and rock him.
“He’s not going to die, is he?”
Kurucz asked the dispatcher, Craig Moxley, whether police were coming. Moxley said paramedics and firefighters were on the way. Moxley confirmed the call during his testimony in court Monday.
Court heard fire crews were the first to arrive at the home in southeastern Calgary.
One of the senior firefighters, Greg Heise, testified that the crew found Kurucz outside.
“The father was holding Jayden on the sidewalk,” Heise said Monday. “We were probably caught a little off guard.
“The father said, ‘He’s not breathing.'”
Heise said first responders placed Jayden on the ground. His colleague started CPR while he tried to open Jayden’s airway, he said.
“I was not able to do that,” said Heise, noting there was dried blood around the baby’s nose and mouth.
He said the father didn’t provide much information when Kurucz was asked what happened.
“He was freaking out,” said Heise, who noted it was difficult to get a clear answer from the father. “He initially stayed with us.
“At some point, he mentioned he needed to have a cigarette.”
Heise said he and his colleague continued to treat Jayden until paramedics arrived a few minutes later.
“He was pale,” said Heise, adding there was a bluish tinge around the baby’s nose and mouth. “His eyes were open but not reactive.”
Another firefighter and a paramedic are scheduled to take the stand Monday afternoon.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 7, 2022.
Alberta not proceeding with Premier Smith’s bill to protect COVID-19 unvaccinated
China eases COVID rules after wide protests of lockdowns
Emergencies Act inquiry studies fundamental rights and freedoms at stake in protests
Canadian agriculture groups hope new Indo-Pacific strategy leads to trade deals
Defence2 days ago
Ministerial staff shared information about soldiers’ role in “Freedom Convoy”
Alberta2 days ago
Canopy breaks out Canadian operations in new unit, lays off 55
Alberta2 days ago
Alberta Court of Appeal orders new trial for man acquitted of beating four-year-old
Business2 days ago
RBC reports $3.9B Q4 profit as it prepares for a more turbulent year ahead
International2 days ago
Viewers flock to eruption of world’s largest volcano
COVID-192 days ago
Chinese vaccine plans spark hope for end of ‘zero COVID’
Alberta2 days ago
Alberta Mountie charged with manslaughter tells jury she feared for her life
Arts2 days ago
Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac singer-songwriter, dies at 79