Connect with us

News

Around Red Deer May 3rd…..

Published

3 minute read

1:54 pm – RCMP are investigating after a shot was fired at the Sunset Manor retirement home in Innisfail on Monday. Read More.

For more local news, click here!

1:49 pm – Good news to report regarding a missing teenage girl from Red Deer. RCMP say 16 year old Nadia Gursky has been located and Mounties are thanking the public for their help in finding her.

10:29 am – The north Red Deer RCMP detachment located at 6592 58 Avenue will close to the public on Monday, May 8 while renovations are made to the front counter customer service area. The renovations are expected to be completed by Friday, May 26. Residents can take any inquiries during this time to the Downtown Detachment.

10:22 am – Innisfail’s Handi-Van service will no longer operate outside of Town limits. Read More.

For more local news, click here!

10:14 am – The street sweepers are out in Sylvan Lake today as well! Read Where.

10:10 am – Sylvan Lake’s mandatory Water Conservation Policy is now in effect. Read More.

10:03 am – Residential street sweeping begins in Lacombe today:

– 54 Ave, from 5 way to 58 St
– 53 St, from 55 Ave to 51 Ave
– 50 St, from 54 Ave to 51 Ave

For more local news, click here!

9:50 am – It’s day two of street sweeping in Penhold. The following streets are due for a sweep today:

• Douglas Close
• Johnson Close
• Jarvis Close
• Esther Close
• Laura Close
• Bouteiller Close

Please obey the no parking signs.

9:37 am – Congratulations to Isabel Bolhuis from St. Patrick’s Community School who received the Excellence in Catholic Education Award this past weekend during the S.P.I.C.E. conference!

9:28 am – Mounties are reminding Alberta Motorists that May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month. They have some tips for you to keep yourself and others safe while enjoying the ride. Read More.

For more local news, click here!

9:17 am – RCMP in Rocky Mountain House are investigating two serious collisions on Monday, May 1st. One of them resulted in the death of an 84 year old male pedestrian. Read More.

9:10 am – Alberta RCMP have released a Documentary that tells their story and recognizes their efforts during the Fort McMurray Wildfires last year. Read More. Watch Boots On The Ground – Nature Of The Beast

8:46 am – In support of Mental Health Awareness Week, the Alberta Teachers’ Association and the Canadian Mental Health Association have asked schools to relax their hat rules to encourage students to show support for mental health awareness by wearing a hat to school on Wednesday, May 3. Many schools in both the Red Deer Catholic Regional School District and Red Deer Public School District are participating.

For more local news, click here!

Follow Author

Justice

Canada signs $20B compensation agreement on First Nations child welfare

Published on

OTTAWA — The federal government says it has signed a $20-billion final settlement agreement to compensate First Nations children and families harmed by chronic underfunding of child welfare.

The Assembly of First Nations and plaintiffs in two class-action lawsuits agreed to the deal, which also accounts for the government’s narrow definition of Jordan’s Principle.

Indigenous Services Canada says the settlement is the largest in Canadian history.

The $20 billion accounts for half of an overall $40-billion deal that aims to reform the child-welfare system, including five-year funding for the First Nations Child and Family Services program.

The deal must still be approved by the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal and Federal Court.

The court had dismissed Canada’s application to review two human-rights tribunal orders around child welfare and Jordan’s Principle, which is meant to eliminate jurisdictional squabbles in paying for services for First Nations kids.

AFN Manitoba Regional Chief Cindy Woodhouse says in a statement she is proud of this “historic milestone” for First Nations children and their families.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 4, 2022.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

conflict

Putin declares victory in embattled Donbas region of Luhansk

Published on

POKROVSK, Ukraine (AP) — Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday declared victory in the eastern Ukrainian region of Luhansk, one day after Ukrainian forces withdrew from their last remaining bulwark of resistance in the province.

Russia’s Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu reported to Putin in a televised meeting Monday that Russian forces had taken control of Luhansk, which together with the neighboring Donetsk province makes up Ukraine’s industrial heartland of Donbas.

Shoigu told Putin that “the operation” was completed on Sunday after Russian troops overran the city of Lysychansk, the last stronghold of Ukrainian forces in Luhansk.

Putin, in turn, said that the military units “that took part in active hostilities and achieved success, victory” in Luhansk, “should rest, increase their combat capabilities.”

Putin’s declaration came as Russian forces tried to press their offensive deeper into eastern Ukraine after the Ukrainian military confirmed that its forces had withdrawn from Lysychansk on Sunday. Luhansk governor Serhii Haidai said on Monday that Ukrainian forces had retreated from the city to avoid being surrounded.

“There was a risk of Lysychansk encirclement,” Haidai told the Associated Press, adding that Ukrainian troops could have held on for a few more weeks but would have potentially paid too high a price.

“We managed to do centralized withdrawal and evacuate all injured,” Haidai said. “We took back all the equipment, so from this point withdrawal was organized well.”

The Ukrainian General Staff said Russian forces were now focusing their efforts on pushing toward the line of Siversk, Fedorivka and Bakhmut in the Donetsk region, about half of which is controlled by Russia. The Russian army has also intensified its shelling of the key Ukrainian strongholds of Sloviansk and Kramatorsk, deeper in Donetsk.

On Sunday, six people, including a 9-year-old girl, were killed in the Russian shelling of Sloviansk and another 19 people were wounded, according to local authorities. Kramatorsk also came under fire on Sunday.

An intelligence briefing Monday from the British Defense Ministry supported the Ukrainian military’s assessment, noting that Russian forces will “now almost certainly” switch to capturing Donetsk. The briefing said the conflict in Donbas has been “grinding and attritional,” and is unlikely to change in the coming weeks.

While the Russian army has a massive advantage in firepower, military analysts say that it doesn’t have any significant superiority in the number of troops. That means Moscow lacks resources for quick land gains and can only advance slowly, relying on heavy artillery and rocket barrages to soften Ukrainian defenses.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has made capturing the entire Donbas a key goal in his war in Ukraine, now in its fifth month. Moscow-backed separatists in Donbas have battled Ukrainian forces since 2014 when they declared independence from Kyiv after the Russian annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea. Russia formally recognized the self-proclaimed republics days before its Feb. 24 invasion of Ukraine.

In his nightly video address, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy acknowledged the withdrawal, but vowed that Ukrainian forces will fight their way back.

“If the command of our army withdraws people from certain points of the front where the enemy has the greatest fire superiority, in particular this applies to Lysychansk, it means only one thing: We will return thanks to our tactics, thanks to the increase in the supply of modern weapons,” Zelenskyy said.

Since failing to take Kyiv and other areas in Ukraine’s northeast early in the war, Russia has focused on Donbas, unleashing fierce shelling and engaging in house-to-house combat that devastated cities in the region.

Russia’s invasion has also devastated Ukraine’s agricultural sector, disrupting supply chains of seed and fertilizer needed by Ukrainian farmers and blocking the export of grain, a key source of revenue for the country.

In its Monday intelligence report, Britain’s defense ministry pointed to the Russian blockade of the key Ukrainian port of Odesa, which has severely restricted grain exports. They predicted that Ukraine’s agricultural exports would reach only 35% of the 2021 total this year as a result.

As Moscow pushed its offensive across Ukraine’s east, areas in western Russia came under attack Sunday in a revival of sporadic apparent Ukrainian strikes across the border. The governor of the Belgorod region in Western Russia said fragments of an intercepted Ukrainian missile killed four people Sunday. In the Russian city of Kursk, two Ukrainian drones were shot down, according to the Russian Defense Ministry.

In other developments:

— Ukrainian soldiers returning from the front lines in eastern Ukraine’s Donbas region — where Russia is waging a fierce offensive — describe life during what has turned into a grueling war of attrition as apocalyptic.

— Two Russian airplanes departed Bulgaria on Sunday with scores of Russian diplomatic staff and their families amid a mass expulsion that has sent tensions soaring between the historically close nations, a Russian diplomat said.

___

Associated Press journalists Maria Grazia Murru and Oleksandr Stashevskyi contributed from Kyiv, Ukraine.

___

Follow AP’s coverage of the Russia-Ukraine war at https://apnews.com/hub/russia-ukraine

Francesca Ebel, The Associated Press

Continue Reading

july, 2022

thu14jul5:30 pm7:30 pmPregnancy & Loss Support Group - Zoom Session5:30 pm - 7:30 pm

Trending

X