Connect with us

News

Around Red Deer July 24th…..

Published

2 minute read

2:36 pm – RCMP are investigating an ATM theft in Castor, where two trucks were also stolen and one of them recovered in Red Deer July 20th. Read More.

12:43 pm – The City of Red Deer is seeking artists to design, manufacture and install collages providing a pictorial history that represents the story and history of the former Red Deer Arena from 1952 to 2016 within the new Servus Arena. Read More.

12:14 pm – The cost of Sylvan Lake’s contract with the RCMP is going up. Read More.

For more local news, click here!

11:52 am – Tayles Water Spray Park and residences on Waghorn Street in Blackfalds will be without water on Tuesday morning, July 25th. Read Why.

11:10 am – Red Deer RCMP are looking for suspects after multiple shots were fired at an apartment building in the area of 53rd Avenue and 58th Street in Riverside Meadows shortly before 3 am on Sunday, July 23rd. No injuries have been reported. Police believe it was a targeted attack.

10:30 am – Save time and frustration when getting around the city today by knowing where the road and trail closures are! Details Here.

For more local news, click here!

10:22 am – Lacombe residents are invited to join MP Blaine Calkins, MLA Ron Orr, Mayor Steve Christie and special guests at a special unveiling and dedication ceremony for the LAVIII monument on Saturday, July 29th at 3 p.m. The ceremony takes place at Veteran’s Field of Honour, Fairview Cemetery at 4430 Woodland Drive in Lacombe.

10:15 am- A 29 year old man and 21 year old woman are facing charges after RCMP in Rocky Mountain House seized drugs and loaded guns, including a semi-automatic style rifle from a residence on Friday, July 21st. Read More.

10:04 am – Annual property inspections are beginning in the City of Lacombe on August 2nd. Officials say the data collected during this process will help complete property assessment values for 2017.

For more local news, click here!

Alberta

TC Energy shuts down Keystone pipeline system after leak in Nebraska

Published on

CALGARY — TC Energy Corp. says it has shut down its Keystone pipeline after a leak in Nebraska.

The company says it has mobilized people and equipment in response to a confirmed release of oil into a creek, about 32 kilometres south of Steele City, Neb.

TC Energy says an emergency shutdown and response was initiated Wednesday night after a pressure drop in the system was detected.

It says the affected segment of the pipeline has been isolated and booms have been deployed to prevent the leaked oil from moving downstream.

The Keystone pipeline system stretches 4,324 kilometres and helps move Canadian and U.S. crude oil to markets around North America.

TC Energy says the system remains shutdown as its crews respond and work to contain and recover the oil.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 8, 2022.

Companies in this story: (TSX:TRP)

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Indigenous

Advocate asks AFN chiefs to ensure $40B settlement deal leaves no child behind

Published on

By Stephanie Taylor in Ottawa

A First Nations child welfare advocate on Wednesday implored chiefs to ensure “no child is left behind” in a landmark $40-billion settlement agreement with the federal government.

Cindy Blackstock delivered the message to an Assembly of First Nations gathering in Ottawa, after being invited to take the stage by Cindy Woodhouse, regional chief in Manitoba who helped negotiate the agreement, which had been thrown into question since being rejected by the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.

The AFN, representing more than 600 First Nations across the country, had asked the tribunal to approve the settlement deal, which would see the government spend $20 billion to compensate families and children for systemic discrimination in the Indigenous child welfare system. It would also spend another $20 billion on making long-term reforms.

Blackstock, the executive director of the First Nations Caring Society who first lodged the complaint at the heart of the issue, raised concerns that the agreement wouldn’t provide $40,000 in compensation to all eligible claimants, which is the amount the tribunal ruled they should get.

“We can make sure that in our First Nations canoe of justice, no child has to see their money go away and no child is left behind in justice,” she said Wednesday.

“We are capable of that.”

Following the tribunal’s decision in October, the federal government filed for a judicial review of some parts of its decision.

Endorsing the settlement agreement loomed as one of the biggest items on the assembly’s agenda, with chiefs being asked to vote on what the organization should do next.

The chiefs had been preparing to vote on conflicting resolutions, with one asking them to support the final settlement agreement, while another sought to see the organization not appeal the tribunal decision and renegotiate the deal.

But on Wednesday, further talks between both sides took place, assisted by former senator and judge Murray Sinclair, who helped the AFN, federal government and lawyers for two related class-action lawsuits reach the $40-billion agreement in the first place, which was formally announced in January.

Chiefs ultimately voted late Wednesday against re-entering negotiations but to instead support compensation for victims outlined in the agreement and “those already legally entitled to the $40,000 plus interest under the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal compensation orders.”

It also included a provision that AFN leaders must regularly return to chiefs to provide it with progress updates and “seek direction” from chiefs on implementing the final agreement.

Many chiefs thanked Blackstock, who was greeted with applause after further agreement was met and said she was honoured to see people come together for children harmed by Ottawa’s discrimination.

“We have had too many apologies, we’ve had too many compensation deals, we’ve had too many kids hurt. And this has got to be it,” she said.

She added more discussion on the long-term reform part of the deal would be presented to chiefs on Thursday.

Earlier in the day, the assembly heard from sisters Melissa Walterson and Karen Osachoff, plaintiffs on the case, about the impact the foster care system had on their lives.

Osachoff said she had been in the child welfare system since she was born and didn’t have a chance to grow up with her sister.

“Had it not been for the ’60s Scoop and the child welfare (system), her and I would have grown up together.”

She said she understands why the tribunal characterizes those like her as “victims,” but told chiefs to instead think of them as survivors.

“I am not a victim and our claimants are not victims.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 7, 2022.

Continue Reading

december, 2022

thu08dec5:30 pm7:30 pmPregnancy & Loss Support Group - Zoom Session5:30 pm - 7:30 pm

Trending

X