Connect with us

Blackfalds

Town of Blackfalds to twin Multi-Plex and build new library

Published

1 minute read

From the Town of Blackfalds: Multi-Plex Arena Expansion

The 2015 Recreation, Culture, and Parks Needs Assessment and Master Plan identified the need for an additional ice surface.

» Many similar sized communities have a twin arena.
» An additional ice sheet would address capacity and demand issues.

The 2018 Civic Facilities Development Strategy and Master Plan recommended:

» Planning for an expansion to the Multi-Plex to include additional indoor ice.
» Development of a larger library to support a larger and growing community.

In the development of this facility concept there have been meetings with the Recreation, Culture, and Parks Board; the Library Board; and the Dual Ice Development Society. Facility tours in Red Deer, Calgary, and Okotoks were conducted with the architect (ACI Architects), Town Council, and Town Administration.

The Town’s 10 Year Capital Plan includes construction for the ice sheet to start in 2021 and the library in 2024.The Town is proposing to expand the Multi-Plex arena. The project is proposed as two phases, with the rink being done in 2021 ($15 million budgeted), and the library in 2024 ($4 million budgeted).

See the draft renderings from ACI Architects that were showcased during the April 17 Open House.

Todayville is a digital media and technology company. We profile unique stories and events in our community. Register and promote your community event for free.

Follow Author

Blackfalds

Town of Blackfalds introduces safe “Exchange Zone” to protect online buyers and sellers

Published on

From the Town of Blackfalds

Blackfalds Adopts Exchange Zone

Blackfalds has designated a safe ‘Exchange Zone’ thanks to the suggestion brought forward by community members to the Town’s peace officers and the Blackfalds Policing Committee.

Exchange zones provide a safe way for the public to exchange goods without the need to provide personal information or have strangers come to your home address.

“The need for a public location for exchanges to occur between people is something which has been brought forward in many communities as they grow,” explains Ken Morrison, Emergency Management and Protective Services Manager. “It provides [buyers or sellers] a place to arrange an exchange without having people attending their home.”

Morrison elaborated that the City of Edmonton implemented exchange zones in March of 2020 as there was an increase in online purchases, and consequently, crime in relation to those purchases. “The previous year, Edmonton Protective Services had made 77 arrests and laid 218 charges relating to the face-to-face buying and selling of online items. Internet communities all over [Alberta] have adopted these initiatives in the hopes of keeping people reasonably safe when making in-person exchanges.”

The Blackfalds exchange zone consists of two designated parking stalls and is located in the parking lot in front of the Protective Services building at 4405 South Street.

RCMP Sergeant Brent Dueck said that the location was chosen because of its already established security measures in and around the building and is manned 24 hours a day. “The Protective Services building was chosen as there are security cameras in place and outside lighting along with police officers and Fire Department personnel coming and going all hours of the day and night.”

Continue Reading

Alberta

How the Railroads Shaped Red Deer

Published on

A crowd gathered at the Red Deer train station to provide a sendoff for members of “C” Squadron of the 12th Canadian Mounted Rifles Regiment. Heading off to join WWI in May 1915. Photo courtesy City of Red Deer Archives. P2603

Rivers, creeks and streams have shaped the land for eons, slowly carving away earth to reveal the terrain we know today. Much of the same can be said for the impact and influence that railways had in shaping the size and shape and even the very location of what is now the City of Red Deer. 

Prior to the construction of the Calgary and Edmonton railway, which started heading north from Calgary in 1890, what we now recognize as the bustling city of Red Deer was unbroken and forested land. The nearest significant settlement was the crossing for the C&E Trail of the Red Deer River, very close to where the historic Fort Normandeau replica stands today. 

Small town of Red Deer from along the Calgary and Edmonton Railway line looking north circa 1900. The Arlington Hotel and the CPR station can be seen. Photo courtesy City of Red Deer Archives. P4410

 

Above left: The Canadian Northern Railway excavating grade along the side of North Hill of Red Deer, AB in 1911. Using the steam shovel Bucyrus and trains. Photo P782. Above right: Workers building the Canadian National Railway trestle bridge at Burbank siding near Red Deer, AB, 1924. P7028. Photos courtesy City of Red Deer Archives.

Reverend Leonard Gaetz whose land formed the townsite for Red Deer. Photo courtesy City of Red Deer Archives. P2706

Navigating how to handle crossing the Red Deer River would be a significant challenge for construction of the railway route. Initially, the route was planned to take the tried-and-true path that had served animals, first nations people and fur traders for centuries, past the Red Deer River settlement. Yet just as the mighty river powerfully shaped the contours and dimensions of the land, the future site of Red Deer would be singlehandedly determined by Reverend Leonard Gaetz.

Rev. Gaetz offered James Ross, President of the Calgary and Edmonton Railway company,  land from his personal farmlands for the river crossing and the townsite for Red Deer.  Ross accepted and history was forever shaped by the decision, as what is now home to more than 100,000 people grew steadily outward starting at the C&E Railway train station. 

A steam engine pulling a passenger train, likely near Penhold, AB, sometime between 1938 and 1944. Photo courtesy City of Red Deer Archives. Photo P3595.

The rails finally reached the Red Deer area in November of 1890 and trains soon began running south to Calgary. By 1891, the Calgary and Edmonton railway was completed north to Strathcona. Alberta gained one of its most vital transportation corridors and the province would thrive from this ribbon of steel rails.

CPR Station in 1910

Over time, the C&E railyards grew and expanded to accommodate the demand for moving more and more commodities like grain, coal, lumber and business and household items along with passengers. Those passengers were the pioneer settlers who would make Red Deer the commercial hub that it remains to this day.

Alberta-Pacific Elevator Co. Ltd. No. 67 elevator and feed mill, circa 1910. Photo courtesy City of Red Deer Archives Photo P3884.

For nearly 100 years, the downtown was intimately connected with the railway in the form of hotels built to welcome travelers, grain elevators, warehouses, factories and the facilities required to service the locomotives and equipment that operated the trains. Tracks and spurs dominated the downtown area, especially after the advent of the Alberta Central Railway and the arrival of the Canadian Northern Western Railway (later absorbed into Canadian National railways).

Left: Aerial view of downtown and the railyards in1938. Note old CPR bridge over the Red Deer River along with the old CNR bridge that was demolished in 1941. P2228 Centre: CPR Track at south end of Red Deer, circa 1904 or 1905. P8060 Right: CPR depot water tower and round house in 1912. P3907. Photos courtesy City of Red Deer Archives.

 

Left: CPR downtown railyards in 1983. Photo S490. Right: Southbound morning Chinook train at the CPR station in the summer of 1939. P13391. Photos courtesy City of Red Deer Archives.

By the 1980s, the ever-present tracks and downtown railyard were seen as an industrial blight in the heart of the city that the railway created so funding was sought and plans were made to relocate the now Canadian Pacific rails from their historical home to a new modern yard northwest of the city. 

This was actually the second relocation of tracks from downtown as the Canadian National railway tracks were removed in 1960 which permitted the development along 47th Avenue south of the Red Deer River.

This massive project opened up the Riverlands district downtown to new developments which included condominiums, grocery stores, restaurants and professional buildings. Taylor Drive was built following the old rail line corridor and removal of the tracks in Lower Fairview meant residents wouldn’t hear the rumble of trains in their community anymore. 

Just as the waters gradually shaped the places we know now, the railways definitely forged Red Deer into the vibrant economic hub of central Alberta that it remains today. 

The 45th Street overpass across the CPR tracks. This was demolished in 1992. Photo courtesy City of Red Deer Archives. Photo S8479.

We hope you enjoyed this story about our local history.  Click here to read more history stories on Todayville.

History of Red Deer’s Second Courthouse

Visit the City of Red Deer Archives to browse through the written, photographic and audio history of Red Deer. Read about the city and surrounding community and learn about the people who make Red Deer special.

My name is Ken Meintzer.  I’m a storyteller with a love of aviation and local history. In the 1990’s I hosted a popular kids series in Alberta called Toon Crew.

Continue Reading

may, 2021

tue04may(may 4)4:57 pmwed30jun(jun 30)12:00 pmMove Your Mood Family Challenge (June)4:57 pm - (june 30) 12:00 pm

Trending

X