RDC Announces Athletes Of The Week!
Red Deer College Athletics is proud to announce our Boston Pizza Athletes of the Week.
1. Miranda Dawe – Queens Volleyball Hometown – Grande Prairie, Alberta Kinesiology and Sport Studies (4th year)
This past weekend, Miranda helped lead the RDC Queens Volleyball team to a pair of 3 set victories in Medicine Hat. Friday, the Kinesiology and Sport Studies student had 13 kills, 1 assist, 1 service ace, 12 digs and 1 stuff block. Saturday, Miranda picked up 13 kills, 2 service aces, 14 digs, 1 stuff block and helped the Queens win their 14th match in a row.
2. Tanner Butler – Kings Hockey Hometown – Souris, Manitoba Open Studies (3rd year)
Often in sports the offensive players get most of the credit, but defenceman Tanner Butler had a great weekend on the ice for the RDC Kings Hockey team. He provided leadership, played well defensively, helped lead the power play and scored a goal. The Kings picked up 4 points in the standings and Tanner played a large role. Friday, the RDC Kings defeated the Portage College Voyageurs 4-2 and Saturday the Kings won 6-2. Tanner helped quarterback the power play to a 2- for-3 success rate and scored 1 goal with the man advantage on Saturday.
Today: Come meet Red Deer’s Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith
Submitted by Tourism Red Deer
Come celebrate with us and congratulate Red Deer’s own Rebecca Smith.
Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Tourism Red Deer invite you to meet Red Deer’s Summer Olympic Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith!
Rebecca was a part of Team Canada’s 4 x 100-meter freestyle relay swim team at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. She’ll be here to meet, greet, and show off her hardware.
Where: Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, 102-4200 Highway 2, Red Deer
When: Wednesday, August 25, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
City of Red Deer
Access to Dawe Centre pool and community centre affected by expansion project – Details
Limited access to G.H. Dawe Community Centre this summer due to construction
As announced yesterday, City recreation centres are opening fully to the public as of July 1. With construction underway at the G.H. Dawe Community Centre, only limited services and areas will be available.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Starting July 2, fitness and gym areas will open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., daily. In July, summer day camps that normally operate from the Dawe will operate from other facilities.
- The pool will remain closed until September.
- To accommodate interior heating and ventilation construction, the facility will fully close from July 26 to August 31. Some registered preschool and summer camp programming may proceed, but no rental or general admission options will be available.
- On September 1, we anticipate the pool will be open, but some other amenities, like the gym, may not be available. More information will be provided as construction progresses.
- Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
We are currently offering a discounted monthly Value Pass for $27 for adults ($24.50 for seniors; $21.90 for students; $19.30 for youth; $14.20 for children, and $60.50 for a family. It provides unlimited access to all facilities. As of August the Value Pass will only provide access to the Recreation Centre and Michener Aquatic Centre; however, access to the Dawe will be included in the Value pass until the pool, gym and fitness areas are open.
About the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project
Work is underway now on the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project and some exciting changes are in store. We expect to welcome visitors to the transformed space in early 2023. Here’s just some of what you can expect:
- Two NHL standard playing surfaces
- Expanded fitness areas, including a running track
- Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities
- Improved accessibility
- Additional north entrance + site access from 67 Street
- Additional parking
During construction, there will be some changes and impacts to existing amenities and programs, and we’ll do you best to share this information in advance. Thanks for your patience as we complete this work.
For more information about the project, please visit reddeer.ca/DaweProject.
Peavey Industries LP, the Red Deer-based retailer, has announced the acquisition of long-term partner and fellow Red Deer stalwart, Guy’s Freightways.
Canada saw decline in fresh fruit, vegetable availability in 2022: StatCan
David Johnston plans to keep role, as House of Commons votes for him to step aside
Health Foundation commits $325,000 to support child, adolescent mental health
Brownstone Institute2 days ago
My Official Apology to the New York Post
Bruce Dowbiggin1 day ago
Should Poilievre Go Around The Legacy Media With His Message?
Alberta1 day ago
Alberta’s province wide state of emergency ends as wildfire situation improves
International1 day ago
Vigilantes in Haiti strike back at gangsters with brutal street justice
Bruce Dowbiggin2 days ago
Inherit The Wins: Hockey Has Its Privileges
Automotive2 hours ago
GM to invest more than $1 billion in two Flint, Mich., plants
Agriculture3 hours ago
Nature Conservancy of Canada releases action plan to protect Prairie grasslands
Health3 hours ago
Premiers need to keep talking about the health-care crisis: medical associations