Notre Dame Hosting Cougar Classic December 9th
By Sheldon Spackman
Red Deer’s Ecole Secondaire Notre Dame High School will be the site of the Senior Boys Basketball Cougar Classic starting December 9th.
Eight teams are competing in the tournament which runs December 9th and 10th. Games begin at 10:30am Friday morning.
(Photo courtesy of Notre Dame High School)
Today: Come meet Red Deer’s Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith
Submitted by Tourism Red Deer
Come celebrate with us and congratulate Red Deer’s own Rebecca Smith.
Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Tourism Red Deer invite you to meet Red Deer’s Summer Olympic Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith!
Rebecca was a part of Team Canada’s 4 x 100-meter freestyle relay swim team at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. She’ll be here to meet, greet, and show off her hardware.
Where: Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, 102-4200 Highway 2, Red Deer
When: Wednesday, August 25, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
City of Red Deer
Access to Dawe Centre pool and community centre affected by expansion project – Details
Limited access to G.H. Dawe Community Centre this summer due to construction
As announced yesterday, City recreation centres are opening fully to the public as of July 1. With construction underway at the G.H. Dawe Community Centre, only limited services and areas will be available.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Starting July 2, fitness and gym areas will open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., daily. In July, summer day camps that normally operate from the Dawe will operate from other facilities.
- The pool will remain closed until September.
- To accommodate interior heating and ventilation construction, the facility will fully close from July 26 to August 31. Some registered preschool and summer camp programming may proceed, but no rental or general admission options will be available.
- On September 1, we anticipate the pool will be open, but some other amenities, like the gym, may not be available. More information will be provided as construction progresses.
- Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
We are currently offering a discounted monthly Value Pass for $27 for adults ($24.50 for seniors; $21.90 for students; $19.30 for youth; $14.20 for children, and $60.50 for a family. It provides unlimited access to all facilities. As of August the Value Pass will only provide access to the Recreation Centre and Michener Aquatic Centre; however, access to the Dawe will be included in the Value pass until the pool, gym and fitness areas are open.
About the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project
Work is underway now on the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project and some exciting changes are in store. We expect to welcome visitors to the transformed space in early 2023. Here’s just some of what you can expect:
- Two NHL standard playing surfaces
- Expanded fitness areas, including a running track
- Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities
- Improved accessibility
- Additional north entrance + site access from 67 Street
- Additional parking
During construction, there will be some changes and impacts to existing amenities and programs, and we’ll do you best to share this information in advance. Thanks for your patience as we complete this work.
For more information about the project, please visit reddeer.ca/DaweProject.
Rebels to auction off these St. Patrick’s Day jerseys
Father-to-be and ‘snow angel’: Edmonton officers shot and killed on duty remembered
Indigenous-led prospective buyer ‘not going away’ even as Trans Mountain costs spiral
Tim Spelliscy reads Cam Tait’s words: NOT A NORMAL DAY
Business1 day ago
Chief Clarence Louie and author Matt Tenney featured at Workforce Strategies Summit March 30 in Red Deer
City of Red Deer2 days ago
G.H. Dawe expansion project complete
Health2 days ago
Poilievre calls for testing that would allow doctors, nurses to work across Canada
International2 days ago
China’s Xi meeting Putin in boost for isolated Russia leader
International1 day ago
Putin welcomes China’s Xi to Kremlin amid Ukraine war
Crime1 day ago
With overdoses up, states look at harsher fentanyl penalties
Business1 day ago
Amazon to lay off 9,000 employees on top of 18,000 in Jan.
Business1 day ago
Fed’s tough challenge: Confront inflation and bank jitters