Connect with us

News

Improvements On The Way For Main Street In Lacombe

Published

2 minute read

By Sheldon Spackman

Lacombe residents can expect to see some construction in the city’s downtown this year but ultimately, resulting in improvements to the community’s core.

In a release, Engineering Services Manager Jordan Thompson says “Due to its deteriorated condition, the sanitary sewer mains in the downtown core, under 49C Avenue and under 50 Avenue, from 53 Street to Highway 2A, are scheduled for replacement in 2017. This important infrastructure project includes pedestrian and road safety improvements, along with parking and other functional enhancements, to accommodate future growth.”

Planned enhancements include:

  • Street light replacement.
  • Access and improvement of two parking areas on the downtown periphery.
  • An all-turns conversion of the 52 Street/50 Avenue intersection.
  • Pedestrian activated RRFBs at 51st Street and 52nd Street.
  • Closure of the 49th Street intersection.
  • Construction of a “turnaround” sidewalk replacement, and pedestrian “bulb-outs” at the 52 Street intersection.
  • Accommodations are also included for the installation of future entry features.

City official say the aesthetic improvements are primarily at the 52 Street, 50 Street, and 49 Street intersections where select decorative surfaces and new plantings are planned. New street furniture/planters will be limited, and trees will be planted only at specific locations rather than along the full length of the corridor. New sidewalk will be primarily brushed concrete, instead of decorative pavers or stamped concrete. 50 Street will remains as a two-way road.

The $6.75 million project is scheduled from mid-April through to the end of October 2017, with work proceeding in stages to minimize the impact on downtown businesses and residents.

For more details, click the link below:

http://www.lacombe.ca/doing-business/engineering/2017-downtown-construction-improvements

Follow Author

National

Boy killed in Brampton fire called 911 to report that he was trapped

Published on

BRAMPTON, Ont. — The mayor of Brampton, Ont., says one of the three boys killed in a house fire Thursday called 911 to report the blaze, but firefighters couldn’t get there in time to save the children.

Patrick Brown says the boy told the emergency dispatcher that he was stuck in the house.

Brown says it only took six minutes for fire trucks to reach the burning house, but by then, the home was fully engulfed in flames.

The boys, who have not been publicly named, but who were aged nine, 12, and 15, died after being taken to hospital.

The local fire department and Office of the Fire Marshal are investigating.

Peel Police Const. Akhil Mooken said Thursday that a mother left her home that morning to drop a younger child off at school, and returned to find the house engulfed in flames.

It’s one of five fatal fires across Ontario that have together claimed 15 lives so far this month.

The Office of the Fire Marshal, which is tasked with investigating such fires in the province, said the numbers of both fatal fires and deaths have dipped compared to January of last year, but there are significantly more deaths than in January 2020.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 21, 2022.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Alberta

Alberta RCMP investigating after child found wandering on highway near St. Paul

Published on

ST. PAUL, ALBERTA — Alberta RCMP say they are investigating after a child was found wandering on a highway near a town northeast of Edmonton earlier this week.

Police in St. Paul say in a news release that they received a report about the child at about 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.

They say a concerned motorist found the child on Highway 881 near Township Road 582 and brought the child to the RCMP detachment.

Police say they have started an investigation and are looking for dashcam footage from the area on Tuesday morning.

Earlier this week, St. Paul Education issued a statement on its website saying it was investigating after kindergarten student remained on a bus after it was returned to the driver’s yard following morning drop off.

They say the child left the bus and found their way to a road in a rural area, where a concerned citizen intervened and took the child to the RCMP.

“Drivers are trained to do a mandatory walk through of their bus to ensure it is empty before leaving it,” said the statement from board chairwoman Heather Starosielski and Glen Brodziak, superintendent of schools. “Our initial review indicates this was not done.”

They said the driver has been removed from his duties pending an investigation.

The statement said schools also typically call home to confirm any student absences.

“Our normal procedure is for schools to start to make in-person phone calls at 8:45 a.m. each day beginning with the youngest children first,” it said. “The delay in noting the absence was in part due to the large number of absences that day in the school as a result of several buses not running due to varying road conditions.”

The statement said the school division is reviewing its transportation practices as well as its student absence reporting process.

“We will also fully co-operate should there be an RCMP investigation,” it added.

They said they are thankful for the safe return of the child and the quick response from the concerned citizen.

Environment Canada shows the temperatures in the area hovered around -24 C on Tuesday.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 21, 2022.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Trending

X