Connect with us
[bsa_pro_ad_space id=12]

Alberta

ALERT makes a co-ordinated ‘million dollar bust’ in Calgary and Medicine Hat

Published

2 minute read

From the Alberta Law Enforcement Response Team

ALERT Seizes Drugs, Firearms in Calgary Raid

More than half a million dollars’ worth of drugs and cash was seized as the result of a coordinated investigation involving ALERT organized crime teams in Calgary and Medicine Hat.

ALERT seized methamphetamine, fentanyl, cocaine and other substances, alongside four firearms, after two Calgary homes were searched on January 23, 2020. One person was arrested, who ALERT alleges was involved in drug trafficking in the Calgary area.

“We believe this individual may have also been involved in supplying drugs to surrounding communities,” said Insp. Shawn Wallace, ALERT Calgary. “This is a great example of how our ALERT teams share intelligence and provide coverage across the entire province to stamp out complex organized crime threats.”

Calgary Police Service helped with the search warrant executions at residences in the neighbourhoods of Panorama Hills and Queensland.

The drugs that were seized included:

  • 2,340 grams of methamphetamine;
  • 903 grams of fentanyl;
  • 212 grams of cocaine;
  • 912 grams of a cocaine buffing agent;
  • 6,103 grams of cannabis;
  • 304 cartons of contraband tobacco cigarettes; and
  • $90,425 cash.

Four firearms were also seized, including two shotguns and two pistols. The firearms will be subject to further forensic analysis.

To Sang Wong, a 56-year-old man from Calgary, has been charged with a number of criminal offences, including:

  • drug trafficking (x4);
  • possession of drugs for the purpose of trafficking (x3);
  • possession of illegal tobacco for sale;
  • fraud;
  • possession of proceeds of crime;
  • unsafe storage of a firearm;
  • unauthorized possession of a firearm; and
  • possession of a weapon obtained by crime.

Members of the public who suspect drug or gang activity in their community can call local police, or contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Crime Stoppers is always anonymous.

After 15 years as a TV reporter with Global and CBC and as news director of RDTV in Red Deer, Duane set out on his own 2008 as a visual storyteller. During this period, he became fascinated with a burgeoning online world and how it could better serve local communities. This fascination led to Todayville, launched in 2016.

Follow Author

Alberta

Alberta removing two COVID-19 symptoms that required people under 18 to isolate

Published on

EDMONTON — Alberta’s top doctor says the province will be removing two symptoms from its COVID-19 checklist for people under the age of 18 that required mandatory isolation.

Dr. Deena Hinshaw says they include runny nose and sore throat.

She says starting Monday, if someone under the age of 18 has one of those symptoms they are encouraged to monitor themselves for 24 hours.

If symptoms improve, they don’t need to get tested and can return to normal activity, including attending school or participating in sport groups.

Hinshaw says the change to the checklist follows similar ones made in British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec.

She says more than 3,400 children and youth who were tested last week for COVID-19 reported having a sore throat, but more than 700 of them had a sore throat as their only symptom, and less than one per cent of their tests came back positive.

Alberta reported 477 new COVID-19 cases in Thursday’s update and five new deaths.

There are 4,921 active cases with 130 in hospital and 18 in intensive care.

Hinshaw also reminded Albertans to practise cautious social distancing this Halloween weekend.

“Unfortunately, after every holiday during the pandemic, we have seen a rise in the number of cases one to two weeks later,” she said.

“This weekend, I am asking Albertans as clearly and strongly as possible to please be wise and be safe.”

Hinshaw said this is not the year for large Halloween parties and noted that Calgary and Edmonton have social gatherings limited to 15 people.

“Eat candy, brush your teeth, watch your favourite scary movie, spend time with your household and your cohorts.”

This report by the Canadian Press was first published on Oct. 29, 2020.

The Canadian Press

<!– Photo: 20201029181052-5f9b4831b34b6af22442776ajpeg.jpg, Caption: Alberta chief medical officer of health Dr. Deena Hinshaw updates media on the Covid-19 situation in Edmonton on Friday March 20, 2020. Alberta’s top doctor says the province will be removing two symptoms from their COVID-19 checklist for people under the age of 18.
Dr. Deena Hinshaw says runny nose and sore throat are on the list of symptoms that require mandatory isolation for children. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson –>

Continue Reading

Alberta

Alberta panel recommends no-fault auto insurance to address rising, costly premiums

Published on

EDMONTON — A panel is recommending Alberta restructure automobile insurance by abandoning costly court fights and moving to a collaborative no-fault model.

Chairman Chris Daniel says the change is needed to keep the insurance system sustainable while providing fair and timely compensation to those hurt in automobile collisions.

The panel was struck last December to recommend solutions to a steep rise in auto insurance premiums.

The panel says the main reason for increased costs is higher injury payouts characterized by adversarial courtroom conflict, fault-finding, delays, and duelling experts. 

The panel’s proposal does not focus on blame and penalties, but rather on getting faster care and compensation for injured parties through arm’s-length adjudication and set benefits.  

Finance Minister Travis Toews says he will strike another panel to hear from industry representatives and Albertans about moving to a no-fault model.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 29, 2020

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

october, 2020

No Events

Trending

X