By Sheldon Spackman
The Alberta Government has announced plans to move forward with a panel to strengthen child intervention and a Central Alberta MLA will be part of that. Jason Nixon, Wildrose MLA for Rimbey-Rocky Mountain House-Sundre has been named to the 13 member panel that includes representatives from all parties in the legislature and leading Alberta experts on child intervention and Indigenous issues. Officials say the Ministerial Panel on Child Intervention will make recommendations to improve Alberta’s child death review process, propose actions to strengthen the child intervention system and explore the systemic issues that lead to children coming into government care.
In a release, Minister of Human Services and MLA for Calgary-McCall Irfan Sabir, says “There is nothing more heartbreaking than the death of a child, and no task more important than preventing these needless tragedies. It is our responsibility as legislators and as a society to do more, and to do better, for our children. This panel’s work is critical to ensuring that every child has the opportunity to be safe, nurtured, and to thrive.” Sabir will sit as an ex-officio member on the panel.
Other panel members include:
- Chair: Debbie Jabbour, MLA for Peace River
- Maria Fitzpatrick, MLA for Lethbridge-East
- Nicole Goehring, MLA for Edmonton-Castle Downs
- Graham Sucha, MLA for Calgary-Shaw
- Heather Sweet, MLA for Edmonton-Manning
- Cameron Westhead, MLA for Banff-Cochrane
- Ric McIver, Interim Leader, Progressive Conservative caucus, MLA for Calgary-Hays
- Dr. David Swann, Leader, Alberta Liberal caucus, MLA for Calgary-Mountain View
- Greg Clark, Leader, Alberta Party caucus, MLA for Calgary-Elbow
- Dr. Peter Choate, MSW, PhD, Mount Royal University
- Dr. Patti LaBoucane-Benson, PhD, Native Counselling Services of Alberta
- Dr. Bruce MacLaurin, MSW, PhD, University of Calgary
The first meeting of the panel will be held February 1st from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. at Government House in Edmonton. The meeting will be open to the public.
People planning to attend AIDS conference in Montreal still struggling to get visas
MONTREAL — International AIDS organizations say people from Africa, South America and Asia who are planning to attend a major AIDS conference in Montreal are still struggling to get visas from the Canadian government.
The groups say a growing number of activists — including some who were scheduled to speak at the conference which begins at the end of the month — are having their visa applications denied, often on the grounds that the Canadian government doesn’t believe they’ll return home after the event.
Tinashe Rufurwadzo, the director of programs, management and governance at Y+ Global, an international organization of HIV+ youth, said the chair of his organization’s board and another of its employees, who are based in Malawi and Kenya, are among the young activists who have been denied visas to attend the conference.
He said both have travelled extensively to speak at AIDS-related events.
“Personally, I’m sick and tired of seeing young people from Africa mostly portrayed on PowerPoint slides as pictures, as photos on banners, as footnotes on case studies. Why can we not have them at conferences to share their lived experiences of what exactly is happening?” he said in an interview Friday.
Rufurwadzo said representatives of populations most at risk of HIV — such as people who inject drugs, transgender women, sex workers and gay men — need to be able to participate, as do adolescent girls, who are increasingly affected by HIV.
If people from the most affected countries aren’t able to attend, he said he doesn’t know how realistic the learning at the conference will be.
While those whose applications are denied will be able to attend the conference virtually, Rufurwadzo said that won’t allow the same level of participation. He also said young people, especially those from rural areas, may not have consistent access to the internet.
Last week, almost 250 organizations from around the world sent a joint letter to Immigration Minister Sean Fraser calling on him to take action to ensure participants can attend the International AIDS conference.
Aidan Strickland, a spokesman for Fraser, said in response to earlier questions from The Canadian Press that the department has been working closely with event organizers and that applications “have been assessed in a timely manner.”
“While we cannot comment on the admissibility of any particular individual, we can say that, in general, all visitors to Canada must meet the requirements for temporary residence in Canada, as set out in Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act,” Strickland said in an email. “All applications from around the world are assessed equally against the same criteria.”
Javier Bellocq, an Argentine who runs a community journalism project called the Key Correspondent Team which focuses on people living with HIV and high-risk groups, said from the stories he’s heard, it seems like each Canadian consulate is applying different rules.
In some places, he said, applicants have been required to pay for medical examinations as part of the visa process.
“The conference, in theory, arranged with the Canadian government that there will not be medical examinations, but there are, there are many medical examinations.”
Of a group of 40 Argentines, including Bellocq, who are planning to participate in pre-conference activities, only two have received visas so far, he said.
Tumie Komanyane, who runs programs for international NGO Frontline AIDS in South Africa, said groups she works with were planning to help more than a dozen young people attend the conference, but decided not to even bother applying for 10 visas after the first four applications were rejected.
Komanyane said she’s aware of other young people from the region, including some who had scholarships to attend the conference funded by the Canadian government, who have had their visa applications denied.
“It’s incoherent,” she said in an interview Saturday. “With the strides that Africa is making in the HIV field, all the lessons and evidence that could be coming from the beneficiaries directly is going to be lost.”
While she works with young people, she said, she doesn’t want to speak for them.
“They have agency, they have voice, and they shouldn’t be represented by people like me. They should be able to go and share what this work means for them,” she said.
Bellocq said he’s not worried about himself, noting the Argentine passport is relatively powerful and he’s a professional who has been travelling internationally form more than 30 years. But he worries about people from countries with less passport privilege and members of marginalized groups who are at high risk of HIV.
With pre-conference events starting in just over three weeks, he said, “time is not on our side.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 2, 2022.
Jacob Serebrin, The Canadian Press
Blue Jays deal with 2 losses to Rays, off-field personal matters
TORONTO — Back-to-back losses in a doubleheader paled in comparison to off-field concerns for the Toronto Blue Jays on Saturday.
Francisco Mejia had a two-run homer in the second inning and a solo shot in the fifth to lead Tampa Bay to an 11-5 rout of the Blue Jays hours after Isaac Paredes and Wander Franco each had a solo home run as the Rays won the first game 6-2.
Toronto first base coach Mark Budzinski left the second game early, with manager Charlie Montoyo repeatedly leaving the dugout for the clubhouse during the game. Bench coach John Schneider filled in as manager during Montoyo’s brief absences.
The Blue Jays closed their clubhouse after the game and cancelled their post-game media availabilities.
“As many of you are aware, Mark Budzinski left early in the game tonight,” read a statement from the team. “He is dealing with a personal matter and Charlie and our coaches are with him.
“Out of consideration for Bud, we ask that you please respect his privacy at this time. Thank you.”
The Blue Jays also had a scary moment in the second inning of the first game when starting pitcher Kevin Gausman took a sharply hit ball off of his right ankle.
He lay prone on the turf in front of the mound as catcher Gabriel Moreno completed the play. After the out trainers came to examine Gausman on the field before helping him to the clubhouse.
His X-rays came back negative and Montoyo said between the games that the pitcher had a contusion.
“Just like everybody else, I was hoping that it wasn’t anything worse than a contusion and that’s what had happened and that’s good news,” said Montoyo, who said Gausman would be considered day-to-day.
Paredes added a three-run homer and an RBI double in the late game as Tampa (42-36) earned back-to-back wins.
Starter Drew Rasmussen allowed two runs — one earned — on five hits and two walks over 4 2/3 innings. Reliever Dusten Knight allowed three runs over 2 1/3 innings and Ralph Garza Jr. earned the win, pitching scoreless ball the rest of the way.
Bradley Zimmer had a two-run homer for Toronto (44-35) and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. added a solo bomb.
Thomas Hatch (0-1) coughed up 10 runs on 12 hits and two walks in 4 2/3 innings. Matt Gage, Sergio Romo, Tim Mayza and Adam Cimber came on in relief, with Gage allowing a run.
Tampa had lost four straight heading into Saturday’s doubleheader, including losses in Toronto on Thursday and Friday.
“That was an exciting day. We had to find a way to bounce back, we did,” said Rays manager Kevin Cash. “It kind of all came together for us through the course of a long day.
“It’s tough to win both games of a doubleheader, so really proud and impressed with the guys.”
EXTRA HELP — Casey Lawrence was recalled from triple-A as the 27th man for both games of the doubleheader. He pitched 5 2/3 innings of relief in Saturday’s first game, allowing six runs to take the loss. Relief pitcher Max Castillo was sent down to triple-A between games to make space for Hatch on Toronto’s roster.
PIRATES TRADE — The Blue Jays announced a trade with the Pittsburgh Pirates for left-handed pitcher Anthony Banda during the first game of the doubleheader. Toronto sent cash considerations to Pittsburgh in return. Righty Julian Merryweather was transferred to the 60-day injured list.
UP NEXT — Ross Stripling (4-2) will start for Toronto in the finale of the rare five-game series against Tampa Bay. Shane Baz (0-1) will take the mound for the Rays.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 2, 2022.
John Chidley-Hill, The Canadian Press
Count down to Canada Day celebration at Bower Ponds
Canada extends COVID-19 border measures until Sept. 30, including ArriveCan app
Calgary police charge teen accused of trying to hire someone to murder another youth
Alberta judge finds man guilty of manslaughter in death of one-year-old son
Brownstone Institute2 days ago
The Insufferable Arrogance of the Constantly Wrong
Energy2 days ago
Biden offshore drilling proposal would allow up to 11 sales
Bruce Dowbiggin2 days ago
A Drag Prescription: Kids Party Like It’s 2022
International2 days ago
‘Revolutionary’ high court term on abortion, guns and more
Crime1 day ago
Woman held hostage during B.C. bank shooting experiencing roller-coaster of emotions
Brownstone Institute2 days ago
The Deception Is Getting More Brazen
Brownstone Institute17 hours ago
The Cure Was Vastly Worse than the Disease
Justice1 day ago
B.C. RCMP identify twin brothers as B.C. bank shooting suspects