International
Former GOP Republican Presidential Candidate Buys Activist Stake In Left-Wing Outlet
From the Daily Caller News Foundation
By JASON COHEN
Former Republican presidential candidate and businessman Vivek Ramaswamy purchased an activist stake in BuzzFeed, according to a May Securities and Exchange Commission filing.
Ramaswamy purchased a 7.7% stake consisting of 2.7 million shares between March 14 and May 21 at costs ranging from $1.47 to $2.51 per share, according to the filing. The businessman asserted in the filing that he feels the company’s shares are “undervalued and represent an attractive investment opportunity.”
The New York Times vehemently claims that the noncitizen voting problem is a “false narrative.” If it’s such a non-issue, it’s interesting that they’re so staunchly opposed to a bill that bans it. pic.twitter.com/o40FK6sU05
— Vivek Ramaswamy (@VivekGRamaswamy) May 22, 2024
Ramaswamy “will seek to engage in a dialogue with the Issuer’s Board of Directors (the “Board”) and/or management about numerous operational and strategic opportunities to maximize shareholder value, including a shift in the Company’s strategy,” according to the filing.
Buzzfeed has been laying off employees since late 2022 as it has struggled with digital advertising, according to The Associated Press. The company closed down its BuzzFeed News in early 2023.
The company also recently reported a loss of $35.7 million in the first quarter of 2024 as advertising revenue plunged 22%, according to the AP.
“It’s an interesting bet,” an individual who is close to Ramaswamy told Mediaite. “Vivek, the anti-woke warrior, buying a material stake in one of America’s most woke media entities would signal to this long time investor that he intends to make it a free speech platform … If he turns it around financially, he would have serious street cred for another conservative political move.”
Ramaswamy in January suspended his presidential campaign and endorsed former President Donald Trump as the 2024 Republican nominee. The businessman also recently visited Trump at the New York courthouse where he is currently on trial.
“The most remarkable part was the one thing you get from being in that courtroom is a sense of the depressing atmosphere, which matches the depressing nature of what’s happening in there. It’s sort of like a concrete poem for the decline of America, actually. You get like a third-world visual, atmospheric courtroom, open wires sticking out, temperature regulation nonexistent, stuffy air a thick scent. And in the same place is happening. It’s not just third-world atmospherics, but a third-world proceeding,” Ramaswamy told the Daily Caller.
Online news outlet The Messenger shut down in January after less than a year of operations; the outlet started out with $50 million in May 2023, but it was hemorrhaging tens of millions of dollars while only taking in about $3 million in revenue last year. The Washington Post planned to eliminate roughly 240 jobs as of December 2023 amid its financial struggles and NPR has similarly been laying off workers since 2022.
BuzzFeed and Ramaswamy did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.
Daily Caller
Zelenskyy Under Siege As Top Aide Resigns After Home Raided In Major Corruption Scandal

From the Daily Caller News Foundation
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s chief of staff, Andriy Yermak, resigned Friday after his home was raided in an ongoing corruption probe that threatens to undermine Zelenskyy’s grip on power during wartime.
Ukrainian authorities on Friday raided the home of Andriy Yermak, Zelenskyy’s chief of staff and right-hand man, as part of a sweeping corruption probe investigating Zelenskyy’s possible involvement in a $100 million scheme to defraud the nation’s atomic energy company. Yermak’s resignation comes at a time when Zelenskyy is under increasing pressure to accept a U.S.-brokered peace deal to end Ukraine’s war with Russia.
The investigation has shaken Ukrainian confidence in Zelenskyy’s administration while Russian strikes continue to rock critical infrastructure. So far, Russia has not commented on the new proposed peace deal.
As a nonprofit, we are dependent on the generosity of our readers.
Please consider making a small donation of any amount here.
Thank you!
Zelenskyy first rose to power on an anti-corruption platform in the 2019 elections, which propelled him into the international spotlight. He has enjoyed a positive global reputation during the three-year war with Russia and has been hailed by numerous Western leaders as a beacon of democracy against autocratic Russia.
Zelenskyy has so far worked with the U.S. on the proposed peace agreement, but has also expressed major reservations about what it will mean for his country. In a public address on November 21, Zelenskyy said the plan puts Ukraine in the position of “either losing its dignity or the risk of losing a key partner.”
Despite the prospect of losing U.S. intelligence sharing and weapons if Ukraine doesn’t accept the deal, Zelenskyy has been shoring up European alliances and international support, most recently signing a deal with France to obtain 100 Rafale jets for its air force. The deal also included anti-air equipment, drones and other munitions.
The Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not immediately respond to the Daily Caller News Foundation’s request for comment.
International
Identities of wounded Guardsmen, each newly sworn in
The two West Virginia National Guard members critically wounded in Wednesday’s ambush near the Farragut West Metro Station have now been identified as Andrew Wolfe and Sarah Beckstrom — young soldiers who had taken their oaths less than a day before gunfire erupted on a downtown Washington sidewalk.
Wolfe, 22, was identified first after Musselman High School in Inwood released a statement confirming the alumnus was one of the soldiers struck. The school said the community was “deeply saddened” and urged residents to pray for him. Wolfe was rushed into surgery and remains in critical condition.
Support poured in across the Eastern Panhandle throughout the day. Friends shared old photos and messages urging him to “keep fighting.” Wolfe, who lives in Martinsburg, is active in the region’s cornhole community, and the Beltway Baggers — organizers of ACL tournaments in Virginia — posted a photo of him flashing a peace sign while asking members to pray for his recovery. “He was shot today while serving our country,” the group wrote.
Federal officials identified the second Guardsman on Thursday as 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom. U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro said Beckstrom had just taken her oath of enlistment and was barely a day into her service when she was gunned down. She underwent emergency surgery and remains in critical condition.
According to investigators, 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal — an Afghan national admitted to the U.S. following the Kabul evacuation — allegedly stepped from behind a corner and opened fire at close range as the two patrolled under a heightened security directive in the capital. Beckstrom was hit first. Wolfe was shot moments later.
Pirro said both families are at the hospital as doctors fight to keep the soldiers alive. She warned that if either succumbs to their injuries, prosecutors will pursue a first-degree murder charge. “If one of them is to pass — and God forbid that happens — this becomes murder one. That’s it.”
Pirro urged Americans to pray for the wounded Guardsmen. “On a day when families gather together, I ask you to pray for these two young people — that they survive.”
-
Alberta10 hours agoFrom Underdog to Top Broodmare
-
armed forces2 days ago2025 Federal Budget: Veterans Are Bleeding for This Budget
-
Alberta1 day agoAlberta and Ottawa ink landmark energy agreement
-
Artificial Intelligence2 days agoTrump’s New AI Focused ‘Manhattan Project’ Adds Pressure To Grid
-
International2 days agoAfghan Ex–CIA Partner Accused in D.C. National Guard Ambush
-
Carbon Tax1 day agoCanadian energy policies undermine a century of North American integration
-
International1 day agoIdentities of wounded Guardsmen, each newly sworn in
-
International2 days agoTrump Admin Pulls Plug On Afghan Immigration Following National Guard Shooting


