On Friday, April 5, 2019, at approximately 2:45 a.m., EPS Downtown Division patrol members responded to a “trouble unknown” call near 92 Street and 110 Avenue. Upon arrival, police discovered a significant amount of blood on the ground at the rear of the residence. Forensic investigators were called out, and an investigation was launched.
Later that same morning, RCMP Major Crimes initiated an investigation, after a body was discovered in a vehicle near Vegreville.
On Monday, April 15, 2019, DNA analysis of blood that had been collected by EPS investigators from the 110th Avenue crime scene was matched to Tristen Nicholas Morningeagle Cook-Buckle, 20.
On Thursday, April 18, 2019, the DNA analysis collected by RCMP investigators from the crime scene in Vegreville also matched the profile of Cook-Buckle, thus connecting the two crime scenes.
On Friday, April 19, 2019, autopsy results released by the Edmonton Medical Examiner confirmed the manner of death of Tristen Nicholas Morningeagle Cook-Buckle to be a homicide. Investigators are not releasing the cause of death, at this time.
The Edmonton Police Service Homicide Section has since taken the lead on the investigation.
Homicide investigators are urging anyone who may information about this homicide to contact the EPS at 780-423-4567 or #377 from a mobile phone. Anonymous information can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online at www.tipsubmit.com/start.htm.
Every investigation is evaluated on a case by case basis. The EPS has decided to release the name of the deceased because it serves an investigative purpose.
US Virgin Islands reach $105M settlement with Epstein estate
By Dánica Coto in San Juan
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The U.S. Virgin Islands announced Wednesday that it reached a settlement of more than $105 million in a sex trafficking case against the estate of financier Jeffrey Epstein.
The settlement ends a nearly three-year legal saga for officials in the U.S. territory, which sought to hold Epstein accountable after he was accused of sexually abusing dozens of underage girls and of causing environmental damage on the two tiny islands he owned in the U.S. Virgin Islands. The islands will be sold as part of the agreement.
“This settlement restores the faith of the people of the Virgin Islands that its laws will be enforced, without fear or favor, against those who break them,” Attorney General Denise George said.
Epstein’s estate agreed to pay the territorial government $105 million in cash and half of the proceeds from the sale of Little St. James island where Epstein owned a home and authorities allege many of his crimes took place.
The estate also will pay $450,000 to repair environmental damage on Great St. James, another island Epstein owned where authorities say he removed the ruins of colonial-era historical structures of slaves.
The money from the sale of Little St. James island will be placed in a government trust to finance projects, organizations, counseling and other activities to help residents who have been sexually abused, officials said.
“We owe it to those who were so profoundly hurt to make changes that will help avoid the next set of victims,” said George, who added that she met with three alleged victims who were trafficked and sexually exploited on Little St. James island.
A real estate company is listing the island for $55 million, noting that its features include three beaches, a helipad, a gas station and more than 70 acres (28 hectares) of land that offer “an array of subdivision possibilities” and “a comprehensive, discreetly located, infrastructure support system.”
The company also is offering Great St. James for $55 million, an island of more than 160 acres (65 hectares) with three beaches.
In addition, the estate will return more than $80 million in economic tax benefits that U.S. Virgin Islands officials say Epstein and his co-defendants “fraudulently obtained to fuel his criminal enterprise.”
The government previously accused an Epstein-owned business known as Southern Trust Co. of making fraudulent misrepresentations to qualify for the benefits.
Daniel Weiner, an Epstein estate attorney, sent a statement to The Associated Press saying that the settlement does not include any admission or concession of liability or fault by the estate or anyone else.
“The co-executors deny any allegations of wrongdoing on their part,” he wrote. “The co-executors ultimately concluded that the settlement is in the best interest of the estate.”
Weiner also noted that the estate has paid more than $121 million to 136 individuals via a victims’ compensation fund.
Epstein killed himself at a federal jail in New York in August 2019 while awaiting trial. He had pleaded not guilty to charges of sexually abusing dozens of girls, some as young as 14 years old.
Several had sued Epstein and accused him and his longtime companion, Ghislaine Maxwell, of pressuring them into sexual trysts with powerful men.
Maxwell, who was convicted on sex trafficking and other charges, was sentenced to 20 years in prison in June.
Alberta Court of Appeal orders new trial for man acquitted of beating four-year-old
The Alberta Court of Appeal has ordered a new trial for a man found not guilty of aggravated assault on his four-year-old stepdaughter, who suffered a life-altering head injury.
Tyler Laberge of Calgary was accused of beating the girl while she was in his care in March 2018.
Laberge testified that he heard a loud thud while the child was in the bathtub, found her face down in the water, pulled her out and performed CPR.
Medical experts testified that it was extremely improbable the child suffered her injuries from a simple fall and it appeared she had received multiple blows to the head.
Last year, provincial court Judge Terry Semenuk acquitted Laberge, saying it was possible there was an innocent explanation for the injuries.
The Crown appealed and the Court of Appeal agreed the trial judge made errors.
“In our view, the trial judge wrongly concluded the experts usurped his role as the trier of fact in giving opinions in relation to the mechanism and cause of injuries,” reads Wednesday’s judgment written by Justice Barbara Lea Veldhuis.
“Moreover, the trial judge wrongly considered the evidence on a piecemeal basis and applied a standard of proof to the expert opinions that exceeded the Crown’s overarching burden of proof. In the result, the appeal is allowed and a new trial is ordered.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published November 30, 2022.
E3 Lithium gets $37M from feds to support oilfield lithium extraction
Sam Bankman-Fried and the Pandemic Industrial Complex
CP NewsAlert: Alleged Chinese spy in Quebec freed on bail ahead of trial
Three Medical Policies that Need Immediate Changing
Canada beats Australia to claim its first Davis Cup tennis championship
Alberta premier defends new rules on in-person learning, no mask mandates in schools
Line 5 shutdown ‘draconian,’ both sides must consider ‘imperfect’ alternatives: judge
Alberta2 days ago
Alberta Mountie charged with manslaughter tells jury she feared for her life
Top Story CP2 days ago
CP NewsAlert: StatCan data shows fewer Canadians drove to work in 2021
National2 days ago
Canadian men still chasing history in their final outing at the World Cup
Defence2 days ago
Ministerial staff shared information about soldiers’ role in “Freedom Convoy”
Top Story CP2 days ago
CP NewsAlert: StatCan data shows 300k Quebec kids eligible for English school
International2 days ago
Viewers flock to eruption of world’s largest volcano
Top Story CP2 days ago
Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac singer-songwriter, dies at 79
Business2 days ago
RBC reports $3.9B Q4 profit as it prepares for a more turbulent year ahead