After 1500 games as play by play announcer for the Red Deer Rebels, Cam Moon has seen it all. In the final part of our four part series Cam Moon talks about coming to Red Deer, his first game, the Memorial Cup winning team and more. The game has changed a lot in all this time… Here’s Cam Moon to tell his story.
Today: Come meet Red Deer’s Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith
Submitted by Tourism Red Deer
Come celebrate with us and congratulate Red Deer’s own Rebecca Smith.
Alberta Sports Hall of Fame and Tourism Red Deer invite you to meet Red Deer’s Summer Olympic Silver Medalist Rebecca Smith!
Rebecca was a part of Team Canada’s 4 x 100-meter freestyle relay swim team at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. She’ll be here to meet, greet, and show off her hardware.
Where: Alberta Sports Hall of Fame, 102-4200 Highway 2, Red Deer
When: Wednesday, August 25, 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Access to Dawe Centre pool and community centre affected by expansion project – Details
Limited access to G.H. Dawe Community Centre this summer due to construction
As announced yesterday, City recreation centres are opening fully to the public as of July 1. With construction underway at the G.H. Dawe Community Centre, only limited services and areas will be available.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Starting July 2, fitness and gym areas will open from 10 a.m. – 8 p.m., daily. In July, summer day camps that normally operate from the Dawe will operate from other facilities.
- The pool will remain closed until September.
- To accommodate interior heating and ventilation construction, the facility will fully close from July 26 to August 31. Some registered preschool and summer camp programming may proceed, but no rental or general admission options will be available.
- On September 1, we anticipate the pool will be open, but some other amenities, like the gym, may not be available. More information will be provided as construction progresses.
- Playing surfaces in the arena will not be available until construction is complete, which is expected to be early 2023.
We are currently offering a discounted monthly Value Pass for $27 for adults ($24.50 for seniors; $21.90 for students; $19.30 for youth; $14.20 for children, and $60.50 for a family. It provides unlimited access to all facilities. As of August the Value Pass will only provide access to the Recreation Centre and Michener Aquatic Centre; however, access to the Dawe will be included in the Value pass until the pool, gym and fitness areas are open.
About the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project
Work is underway now on the G.H. Dawe Community Centre Project and some exciting changes are in store. We expect to welcome visitors to the transformed space in early 2023. Here’s just some of what you can expect:
- Two NHL standard playing surfaces
- Expanded fitness areas, including a running track
- Outdoor spray park with washroom facilities
- Improved accessibility
- Additional north entrance + site access from 67 Street
- Additional parking
During construction, there will be some changes and impacts to existing amenities and programs, and we’ll do you best to share this information in advance. Thanks for your patience as we complete this work.
For more information about the project, please visit reddeer.ca/DaweProject.
Revisiting the “All-inclusive” in Cozumel – by Gerry Feehan
Pam Davidson wins Senate Election – Red Deer sends message with Equalization vote and choosing Daylight Saving Time
Wild TV launches streaming app for hunting enthusiasts
Mayor Ken Johnston wins big. Jefferies, Buruma, Barnstable, and Doerksen join council
Community1 day ago
Fill those yellow bags to ease shortages at the Red Deer Food Bank
Also Interesting2 days ago
How to Throw a Casino Style Party for Friends at Home
Top Story CP2 days ago
Supreme Court of Canada sides with injured woman in snow-clearing squabble
Top Story CP2 days ago
Pfizer will ship millions of vaccine doses for kids as soon as it’s approved: Trudeau
Top Story CP1 day ago
Mohawk Council of Kahnawake ‘repulsed’ by politicization of Habs’ land acknowledgment
Alberta2 days ago
CPL Roundup: Cavalry extends undefeated streak with 2-1 win over Pacific
Alberta1 day ago
'You're looking at it:' Undercover officer says suspect led them to burial site
Top Story CP8 hours ago
Warrant: Baldwin didn’t know weapon contained live round