Connect with us
[the_ad id="89560"]

Alberta

Alberta halts use of AstraZeneca vaccine for those under 55

Published

2 minute read

From the Province of Alberta

– Dr. Deena Hinshaw adress to media Monday, March 29

Following extensive discussions with our provincial and federal partners, Alberta is temporarily pausing the use of AstraZeneca in anyone under the age of 55.

This is a precautionary measure that is being taken across Canada.

As I mentioned to you last week, there have been some rare instances of blood clots reported in Europe that require more investigation.

While all available data and evidence shows no increase in the overall risk of blood clots for those who receive AstraZeneca, in a very small number of people who received the vaccine, a blood clot in the brain was reported 4 to 20 days after the vaccine.

These incidents are rare, and at this point seem to be linked to AstraZeneca, possibly through an immune response.

There is no evidence of any similar issues linked to the other vaccines that we are using in Alberta.

There have also been no reported cases of these blood clots following immunization, in Alberta or anywhere in Canada.

However, safety is always our top priority.

This pause will allow Health Canada to conduct further assessments and gather more information from around the world.

This change is based on new information reported late last week, and over the weekend regarding some additional cases and a lack of a connection to a specific lot or batch of the vaccine.

I want to assure you that anyone under the age of 55 who has already received a dose of AstraZeneca vaccine is not considered to be at high risk of blood clots.

However, as with anyone who receives any medication, including vaccine, they should monitor their health and seek immediate medical attention if they experience health concerns.

We will continue monitoring the emerging evidence around this issue.

We will also continue doing everything possible to ensure that our immunization program remains safe and effective.

Studies are underway that will help determine what vaccine those already immunized with AstraZeneca will be able to receive when it comes time for their second dose in the months ahead.

Alberta

Edmonton mother found guilty of manslaughter in death of five-year-old girl

Published on

EDMONTON — A judge has found an Edmonton woman guilty of manslaughter in the death of her five-year-old daughter.

Court heard that the girl died of blunt-force trauma and prosecutors alleged her mother beat her with a belt and a spatula.

The woman, who is in her 30s, had been charged with failing to provide the necessaries of life, assault with a weapon and second-degree murder.

Justice Avril Inglis says there was not enough evidence to convict the woman beyond a reasonable doubt on those charges.

But Inglis convicted the woman of manslaughter because evidence showed that the girl’s severe brain injuries were caused by an assault and the only person in the home capable of inflicting them was her mother.

The woman is expected to be sentenced in the fall. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 7, 2021.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Alberta

TC Energy reports $1.1-billion net loss after $2.2-billion writedown on Keystone XL

Published on

CALGARY — TC Energy Corp. is reporting a first-quarter net loss of $1.1 billion after taking a $2.2-billion after-tax asset impairment charge on its cancelled Keystone XL export oil pipeline.

It says the impairment charge doesn’t yet include the government of Alberta’s investment and guarantees for the project, which are expected to eventually reduce the company’s net exposure to about $1 billion. 

Keystone XL was suspended after newly elected U.S. President Joe Biden fulfilled a campaign promise to cancel its presidential permit in January.

Since then, shippers including Cenovus Energy Inc., Suncor Energy Inc. and Imperial Oil Ltd. have reported non-cash writedowns on earnings related to their commitments to it.

In its quarterly report, TC Energy said comparable earnings without the charge were $1.108 billion or $1.16 per share, down from $1.109 billion or $1.18 per share in the year-earlier period.

It says revenue was $3.38 billion, down from $3.42 billion in the first quarter of 2020.

“While we were very disappointed by the revocation of the presidential permit for Keystone XL and the resulting after-tax impairment charge, we are well positioned to deliver sustainable, high-quality growth in the years ahead,” said CEO Francois Poirier in a news release.

 “We are advancing a $20-billion secured capital program and working on a substantive portfolio of other similarly high-quality opportunities under development.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 7, 2021.

Companies in this story: (TSX:TRP)

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Trending

X