Connect with us
[the_ad id="89560"]


Arrests Made In Stolen Property Busts


4 minute read

By Sheldon Spackman

A number of people are facing charges after various stolen property arrests by RCMP over the past week. The first took place shortly after midnight on Friday, March 3rd, where Red Deer RCMP say two community mail boxes in the Inglewood neighbourhood were broken into and had it’s mail stolen.

Mounties say the report indicated there was a man and a woman breaking into the community mailbox near the intersection of Irish street and Ivany Close and stealing the mail in it. Police responded immediately but the suspects were gone when RCMP arrived. Further investigation determined that a second community mailbox at the corner of Irish street and Irving Crescent had also been broken into and emptied of mail. The male and female suspects were seen driving away in a mini-van.

RCMP urge affected citizens in the Inglewood area to take steps to protect themselves from identity theft:

  • If you think your mail may have contained replacement credit or bank cards, or credit or bank statements that could be used to attempt fraud on your accounts, contact your bank or credit card company immediately.
  • Are you expecting personal identification such as a renewed driver’s license or other government-issued identification? Contact the issuing agency immediately.
  • Is this the time when you would expect to receive utility bills? Contact the appropriate companies to ensure that you don’t accidentally miss payment. Stolen bills can also be used by fraudsters in attempts to steal your identity, open new accounts or get cash loans.
  • RCMP urge people to check their mail every day to lessen the risk of losing important pieces of mail.

Elsewhere early Friday morning around 1 am, Blackfalds Mounties assisted Alberta Sheriffs with a vehicle stop. A large amount of stolen personal mail was found, as well as a stolen 22 calibre rifle. Police say the suspect provided a false name to the officers initially, however investigations revealed his identity and the numerous outstanding warrants for his arrest.

Justyn Bourne has been charged with numerous offences and was held in custody to appear in Red Deer Provincial Court on March 6th. RCMP request that the public refrain from inquiring about the mail, as the owners have been or will be contacted in the near future.
Later that day on Friday, March 3rd, RCMP say a woman was seen walking through a Stettler parking lot checking for unlocked vehicles and rummaging through ones she found unsecured. Mounties responded and found the woman and arrested her.
34 year old Roseanna Connor was charged with a number of offences including Theft, Resist Arrest and Possession of Controlled Substances. Her next court date is scheduled for later this month. Property found in Ms Connor’s possession was returned to the rightful owners.
Finally, in the early morning hours of Saturday, March 4th, Blackfalds Mounties responded to a possible break and enter in progress at a known property near Joffre. Upon arrival, RCMP found an occupied stolen Ford F350 truck. During initial investigations, false names were provided to RCMP and subsequently, a male suspect fled on foot. However, he was later captured with the help of a police dog. Police say a search of the property revealed a stolen 2010 Infinity SUV, as well as a stolen handgun and illegal drugs.
4 people have been charged with multiple counts ranging from possession of stolen property to failing to comply with release conditions. Charged are Jeffery Heard, Steven Lukens, Quinn Petersen and Melissa Bowie. RCMP say all but Lukens were released on their own recognizance. First court appearances are slated for March 6th.

Top Story CP

Edward Rogers files B.C. court petition to have newly formed board declared valid

Published on

TORONTO — The son of late Rogers Communications Inc. founder Ted Rogers is seeking a ruling from B.C.’s Supreme Court that would legitimize a company board he formed by replacing five of its members.

Edward Rogers’ mother Loretta Rogers and sisters Melinda Rogers-Hixon and Martha Rogers claim the board is illegitimate and does not comply with laws in B.C., where the company is incorporated.

They and several other associates say the only legitimate version of the Rogers board is the one that existed last week, before Edward Rogers replaced five directors with people of his choosing.

Edward Rogers was ousted from his role as board chair, but he remains at the helm of his family’s trust, which controls 97 per cent of the firm’s Class A voting shares and 10 per cent of outstanding Class B shares.

He has been at the centre of a power struggle since media reports revealed he was plotting to give Rogers’ former chief financial officer Tony Staffieri the job of CEO Joe Natale, a move some family and board members oppose.

The ongoing feud has left Rogers in a state of uncertainty as it awaits regulatory approvals for a $26-billion takeover of rival Shaw Communications Inc.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 26, 2021.

Companies in this story: (TSX:RCI)

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Top Story CP

Blackhawks GM Bowman resigns after sexual assault probe

Published on

Chicago Blackhawks general manager and president of Hockey Operations Stan Bowman resigned Tuesday after an investigation commissioned by the team found he was among a group of leaders who failed to respond promptly to allegations that an assistant coach sexually assaulted a player in 2010.

The results of the independent review by Jenner & Block were handed over to the Blackhawks on Monday, and team CEO Danny Wirtz said the report “is both disturbing and difficult to read.”

Former federal prosecutor Reid Schar, who ran the investigation, said Tuesday that Bowman, former team president John McDonough, hockey operations executive Al MacIsaac, former executive vice president Jay Blunk and then-assistant general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff met with then-coach Joel Quenneville and mental skills coach Jim Gary to discuss allegations that then assistant coach Brad Aldrich had assaulted a player.

Schar said accounts of the meeting “vary significantly.”

“What is clear is that after being informed of Aldrich’s alleged sexual harassment and misconduct with a player no action was taken for three weeks,” Schar said.

The investigation was commissioned by the team after two lawsuits were filed against the Blackhawks: one alleging sexual assault by assistant coach Aldrich during the team’s Stanley Cup run and another filed by a former student whom Aldrich was convicted of assaulting in Michigan. Aldrich left the Blackhawks after the 2009-10 season.

A former player said Aldrich assaulted him, and that the team did nothing after he informed an employee. The lawsuit, filed May 7 in Cook County Circuit Court, alleges Aldrich also assaulted another unidentified Blackhawks player. The former player who sued and is seeking more than $150,000 in damages is referred in the document as “John Doe.”

The eight-page lawsuit says Aldrich, then a video coach for the Blackhawks, “turned on porn and began to masturbate in front of” the player without his consent. It says Aldrich also threatened to “physically, financially and emotionally” hurt the player if he “did not engage in sexual activity” with him.


More AP sports: and

Jay Cohen And Stephen Whyno, The Associated Press

Continue Reading