Connect with us
[bsa_pro_ad_space id=12]

National

RCMP investigating alleged assault at minor hockey club in North Vancouver

Published

on

If you like this, share it!




  • VANCOUVER — The RCMP say they are investigating an alleged assault at an elite athletics club that trains minor hockey players in North Vancouver.

    The Mounties said in a statement Thursday they received details on Jan. 27 of an alleged incident at the North Shore Winter Club on Dec. 10.

    Police are taking statements from players of the minor hockey club, coaches, guardians and parents, but will release no further details because the investigation is ongoing, the statement says.

    Mark Rowan, a lawyer who represents the family of the alleged victim, said the boy’s allegations involve two of his teammates.

    In a statement, club general manager Joanna Hayes says it takes the safety and well-being of its member families seriously.

    “The NSWC is aware that there are unfortunate rumours circulating and our desire is to remind everyone that rumours based on inaccurate information can be very damaging to those involved,” the statement says.

    A timeline in the club’s statement says a coach was told by a parent on Dec. 10 that his son was “targeted by two players on his team earlier that day.” The next day, the coach met with all players, suspended the two players and made a report to the club, which set up the disciplinary committee on Dec. 12.

    “After conducting a thorough investigation, the disciplinary committee concluded there were two incidents of bullying,” it says.

    Between Dec. 13 and 20, the club says it interviewed all the players on the team and the disciplinary committee made its findings on Dec. 21, when it issued further suspensions. It also mandated that the two players each write a letter of apology and attend a professional anti-bullying session.

    On Jan. 7, the club says an appeal was received and a secondary committee was formed to consider the appeal. The two suspended players were reinstated on Jan. 17 and 27 respectively and have met all requirements set out by discipline committee.

    “We feel they have learned from their actions, understood the harm, and we do not expect this to be repeated,” the statement says.

    The club says it respected a request from the family of the boy who made the allegations not to contact the authorities and adds that it “acted decisively.”

    B.C. Hockey provided support and advice and there was a “full review and appeal process,” it says.

    Rowan said in an interview there were two separate alleged incidents on Dec. 10, one in the locker room and another during off-ice training.

    Rowan said he could not share why the family retained him and no lawsuit has been filed.

    The family had hoped to resolve the matter outside the public eye and did not contact RCMP, he added.

    “They were hoping the club would do the right thing and this would not be public,” Rowan said.

    “Our client absolutely loves hockey, it means more than anything. And after what was a few weeks suspension, the club has determined that these boys can come back and play on the same team and use the same change room as our client.”

    The club says it will update its bullying policy in the players’ code of conduct, plus add more communications during the season. The board has also appointed a committee to make recommendations for better and stricter policies and procedures to deal with “complaints of this nature moving forward,” it says.

    The family entrance fee for lifelong membership at the club is $10,000, plus monthly dues of $356.

    The club says on its website that the strength of its hockey program is one of its biggest assets and that it has developed many talented players over the years. The club’s alumni listed on its website includes more than 30 current and former National Hockey League players including Evander Kane of the San Jose Sharks and ex-players Paul Kariya, Brett Hull and Joe Sakic.

    “The program is nationally recognized and is the major driver of membership at the club,” it says.

    The Canadian Press


    If you like this, share it!

    Construction

    Three instances when SNC-case was discussed with Wilson-Raybould, clerk says

    Published

    on

    If you like this, share it!




  • OTTAWA — Michael Wernick, clerk of the Privy Council, appeared at the House of Commons justice committee Thursday, to answer questions about his knowledge on the SNC-Lavalin affair and whether former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould was pressured not to prosecute the company.

    Wernick predicted Wilson-Raybould will express concerns about three meetings when she appears at the committee next week, two of which he attended and all of which he maintained did not cross the line into improper pressure on Wilson-Raybould.

    Here is Wernick’s version of those events:

    Sept. 17, 2018

    A meeting involving Wilson-Raybould, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Wernick, two weeks after the director of public prosecutions decided not to negotiate a remediation agreement with SNC-Lavalin. 

    Wernick said Trudeau called the meeting to discuss the Indigenous rights recognition framework which had bogged down due to “a very serious policy difference” between Wilson-Raybould and Crown-Indigenous Relations Minister Carolyn Bennett, and other colleagues, about how to proceed on the framework.

    Almost the entire meeting was devoted to that subject, he said, but Trudeau did also reassure Wilson-Raybould that any decision on whether to instruct the public prosecutor to drop the SNC-Lavalin prosecution was hers alone.

    Dec. 18, 2018

    A meeting between the prime minister’s staff and Wilson-Raybould’s chief of staff. Wernick, who wasn’t involved, did not provide any details.

    Dec. 19, 2018

    A conversation between Wilson-Raybould and Wernick.

    Wernick said he was trying to get a handle on the issues that might confront the government when Parliament resumed sitting in January. He wanted to know, among other things, whether a remediation agreement with SNC-Lavalin was still an option and said he “conveyed to her that a lot of her colleagues and the prime minister were quite anxious about what they were hearing and reading in the business press … about the company moving or closing” if the prosecution continued. There were fears it would have consequences for innocent employees, shareholders, pensioners, third-party suppliers and affected communities.

    Wernick said he’s confident the conversation was “within the boundaries of what’s lawful and appropriate. I was informing the minister of context. She may have another view of the conversation but that’s something that the ethics commissioner could sort out.”

    The Canadian Press


    If you like this, share it!
    Continue Reading

    National

    Canadian shares story of abuse with church officials ahead of Vatican summit

    Published

    on

    If you like this, share it!




  • One by one, a dozen survivors shared their shattering tales of sexual abuse at the hands of Catholic clergy with high-ranking church officials gathered to listen to the stories they’d declined to hear for years.

    Leona Huggins, the only Canadian in the gathering that took place ahead of a historic summit at the Vatican this week, said the energy built “like a tsunami” as victims hailing from Spain to Jamaica urged clergy to take concrete action to begin a new chapter for the church.

    But she said the tide ebbed quickly as soon as the harrowing accounts were presented.

    Huggins said one archbishop reacted by saying “I guess we’ll have to get to work,” prompting her to ask why such work had not already begun. That question was answered with a demand to be respectful, she said, eroding hope that this week’s summit meant to tackle sexual abuse in clerical ranks would result in true change.

    “We were truth-tellers in that room,” the Vancouver-based school teacher said in a telephone interview from Rome. “It’s really hard for me to think how anyone could hear those stories and not take courageous action.”

    Huggins, 56, had limited hopes for the international meeting, called by Pope Francis in a bid to quell a scandal that has dogged his tenure as head of the Catholic Church.

    The pontiff himself was not at the gathering of survivors held a day before the official summit got underway Thursday, a point that did not sit well with those who shared their stories.

    Huggins, who has gone public with her story of abuse, said her experience played out like so many others. She said she was groomed and ultimately abused by a Catholic priest who worked in her British Columbia parish in the early 1970s.

    He was ultimately convicted in 1991 of sexual offences against two women, including Huggins, but continued working as a priest in communities ranging from Lethbridge, Alta., to Ottawa until his death in 2018.

    Huggins, who used some of her time at the closed-door gathering to call for recognition of Canadian Indigenous victims of abuse, said the Pope’s presence would have been an important sign that the church was serious about addressing past wrongs and preventing new ones from unfolding.

    Pope Francis expressed many high-minded intentions at the summit’s official opening on Thursday, acknowledging the need for concrete action and significant, internal change.

    “Listen to the cry of the young, who want justice,” he told the gathering. “The holy people of God are watching and expect not just simple and obvious condemnations, but efficient and concrete measures to be established.”

    People from five continents shared their stories of abuse, including an unnamed woman from Africa who told the gathering of the three abortions her former priest forced her to have during the decades in which he raped her.

    The Pope, for his part, handed out a list of 21 proposals for the church to consider, including specific protocols to handle accusations against bishops.

    One idea called for raising the minimum age for marriage to 16 while another suggested a basic handbook showing bishops how to investigate cases.

    But for Huggins, the specifics of the 21 points did even more than Wednesday’s gathering to chip away at what little optimism remains, lamenting the newly raised minimum age is still wildly out of step with societal norms and criticizing the church for not having a handbook in circulation long ago.

    Huggins said she feels she still has to “hold out hope” that leaders will make good on their promises of reform. If they don’t, she said, she fears an entirely new generation would be at risk.

    “I don’t see how anyone can continue to bring their child to a church that will not promise their child’s safety,” she said.

    — with Files from the Associated Press.

    Michelle McQuigge, The Canadian Press


    If you like this, share it!
    Continue Reading

    february, 2019

    fri15feb - 3marfeb 151:00 ammar 32019 Canada Winter Games1:00 am - (march 3) 1:00 am Red Deer

    sat23feb1:00 pm- 4:00 pmMAGSaturday @ the MuseumMAGnificent Saturdays welcomes all ages and abilities to participate in a fun art project every week! 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

    sun24feb11:00 am- 2:00 pmOne Eleven Jazzy Brunch11:00 am - 2:00 pm

    wed27feb12:30 pm- 1:00 pmBusiness Professionals Video Lecture LunchThis course explains high-level business concepts in simple ways. 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm

    Trending

    X