CALGARY — A former teammate of a Canadian Football League player who was shot to death identified the accused as the man who pulled a gun outside a nightclub two years ago.
Nelson Lugela, 21, is on trial for second-degree murder in the death of Calgary Stampeder Mylan Hicks outside the Marquee Beer Market in September 2016.
The shooting happened after a scrap over a spilled drink inside the bar where Stamps players were celebrating a victory over Winnipeg earlier in the evening.
Jamal Nixon testified Friday that he was outside the bar talking with Hicks and two other players when they noticed another scuffle involving wide receiver Bakari Grant and a man in a white shirt.
“There’s a lot of shoving. There was a whole crowd there,” Nixon said.
“At that point … I hear a bottle break and then as the bottle breaks we can see the guy in the white shirt — he’s like in the front of the crowd. He ends up pulling a gun out.”
Nixon said the man was standing directly in front of them holding a handgun.
“We ended up all running and I ended up running into the actual parking lot,” Nixon said.
“I heard gunshots at the time, roughly around three or four.”
Nixon was asked by the prosecution if he could identify the shooter.
“Yes sir. That guy right over there,” he said as he looked at Lugela in the prisoner’s box.
Nixon said the suspect and two friends took off in an SUV and Nixon went back to where Hicks was lying behind a car.
He said another Stampeder player, Derek Dennis, was yelling out: “Mylan’s been hit! Mylan’s been hit!”
Nixon said he turned Hicks over and stayed with him until paramedics arrived.
A friend of Lugela’s testified the alleged shooter confessed to pulling the trigger shortly after shots rang out.
But in a lengthy cross-examination by the defence, Darwin Concepcion acknowledged that he was drunk on the night of the shooting and is still trying to piece together what happened.
Concepcion testified earlier that he was outside the bar at closing time when he heard a gunshot.
“I heard a bang in my left ear. Everybody started running and everybody was panicking. My ears were ringing,” Concepcion told defence lawyer Alain Hepner.
“I just turned around and Nelson looks at me and said, ‘Let’s go’ or something. ‘We gotta go.’ So we all hopped in the vehicle.”
Concepcion said it wasn’t until they left that he noticed Lugela was holding a gun in his hand and said, “I hit two shots. I don’t think he’s going to make it.”
Hepner challenged Concepcion, pointing out he never mentioned that Lugela admitted to shooting Hicks in his original interview with police three days after the shooting.
“You didn’t tell the detective this last phrase that you told us yesterday. Am I right?” asked Hepner.
“Yes,” Concepcion responded.
“What I’m suggesting to you is you only heard the phrase, ‘I don’t think he’s going to make it.’ That’s all you heard. Was that true? Is that all you heard? Am I right?
“I was drunk,” replied Concepcion.
— Follow @BillGraveland on Twitter
Bill Graveland, The Canadian Press
‘Freedom Convoy’ organizers’ trial on scheduled break until after Thanksgiving
Tamara Lich arrives for her trial at the courthouse in Ottawa, on Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2023. Lich and fellow Freedom Convoy organizer Chris Barber are charged with mischief, obstructing police, counselling others to commit mischief and intimidation. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Justin Tang
The trial of “Freedom Convoy” organizers Tamara Lich and Chris Barber has begun a scheduled break that will continue until after Thanksgiving.
The court finished hearing the testimony of Serge Arpin, the chief of staff to Ottawa’s former mayor, on Friday.
He spoke about how the city responded to the protest that overwhelmed the downtown core for three weeks in early 2022.
Arpin also testified about his interactions with convoy organizers while working out a deal with former mayor Jim Watson to move big-rig trucks out of residential neighbourhoods.
The evidence was originally due to be wrapping up by this point in the trial, which had been scheduled to last 16 days, but Arpin is just the fourth witness to finish his testimony.
The trial was expected to hear from 22 witnesses, leaving the court to ponder how much more time will be needed to reach the finish line.
Justice Heather Perkins-McVey, who is overseeing the trial, has identified several dates in October and November.
Lawrence Greenspon, the lawyer representing Lich, said he does not want to set new court dates until the Crown has established a new, more accurate time estimate for its case.
As of Friday, the trial is expected to resume Oct. 11.
Lich and Barber are charged with mischief and counselling others commit offences such as mischief and intimidation for their role in organizing and prolonging the demonstration.
The defence questioned Arpin Friday about how city council and staff attempted to put an end the protest. As the mayor’s chief of staff, Arpin told the court he sat in on every council meeting.
He was grilled about a bylaw change on Feb. 9 last year that banned idling in a vehicle unless the temperature fell at or below -15 C. The bylaw originally allowed idling if the temperature was below 5 C.
“City council … was attempting to freeze out the truckers and their families,” Greenspon told the court.
Arpin said he believed the intention was to bring the demonstration to an end.
Arpin was also involved in the deal between Watson, Lich and other organizers to move trucks out of residential neighbourhoods and onto Wellington Street, in front of Parliament Hill.
He texted back and forth with the convoy organizers’ lawyer Keith Wilson on Feb. 14 and 15 in an exchange that was filed as evidence in the trial.
The texts suggest city staff did not give protest organizers or their lawyers a heads-up about plans to file a court injunction against demonstrators who violated city bylaws.
“Just so you know, it is highly irregular for the city’s lawyers to have done this without providing us lawyers here with notice,” Wilson wrote to Arpin on Feb. 15.
“This could change everything.”
Arpin told Wilson he was under the impression they knew about the court filing, but said in court that he never informed them himself until after the injunction was granted by a judge.
Lawyers representing the convoy organizers were not given an opportunity to oppose the application in court at the time.
The deal between Lich and the mayor fell apart later that day when police would no longer allow trucks to move closer to Parliament.
Arpin confirmed the police service underwent a change in command that day as a result of the police chief’s resignation.
He apologized to Wilson at the time, the text messages show.
“Our goal has always been de-escalation and I know you share this goal,” he texted to Wilson on the 16th.
The Crown hopes to pick up its case in October with eight local witnesses from Ottawa who lived or worked downtown during the Freedom Convoy protest.
Lich and Barber have already admitted that there was mischief taking place in the protest zone.
Greenspon has argued that the testimony of those witnesses would be akin to victim impact statements, and therefore shouldn’t be allowed to be heard during the trial.
B.C. premier suspects Ottawa holding back information about foreign interference
A flock of birds flies past as Moninder Singh, front right, a spokesperson for the British Columbia Gurdwaras Council (BCGC), waits to speak to reporters outside the Guru Nanak Sikh Gurdwara Sahib in Surrey, B.C., on Monday, September 18, 2023, where temple president Hardeep Singh Nijjar was gunned down in his vehicle while leaving the temple parking lot in June. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
British Columbia Premier David Eby said he “strongly” suspects that the federal government is holding back information that could help the province protect its residents who have connections to India from foreign interference.
Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc has reached out, saying Ottawa wants to make sure the provincial government has the details it needs to keep B.C. residents safe, “but there has not been good information sharing,” the premier said Friday.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau revealed in Parliament on Monday that Canadian intelligence services were investigating “a potential link” between the Indian government and the fatal shooting of Sikh advocate Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Surrey, B.C., last June.
In response to the killing, Eby said on Friday that the priority should be protecting the criminal prosecution process so people can be held accountable for the killing.
But on the broader issue of ensuring community safety, he said there’s “a long way to go to share that information.”
Eby said people in B.C. have been “feeling pressure from India,” and he believes Ottawa has information through agencies including the RCMP and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service that could help respond to foreign interference.
The premier’s initial statement in response to Trudeau’s announcement called on Ottawa to “share all relevant information” related not only to foreign interference, but also to “transnational organized crime threats” in the province.
He said Friday that the prime minister had reached out before telling Parliament about the probe based on “credible” information about the potential link between India and Nijjar’s killing.
Eby accepted Trudeau’s offer for a briefing by CSIS, but everything the premier knows about the situation is “in the public realm,” he said.
“I expressed my frustration in the meeting with the CSIS director about our inability to get more concrete information,” Eby said.
He made the remarks during a media question-and-answer session after addressing local politicians at the Union of BC Municipalities conference.
Eby said he understands there may need to be reform around the law governing CSIS in order for the agency to share the kind of information he’s looking for.
“If that’s what’s required, let’s make it happen, because the only way that we’re going to make traction on this is by the federal government trusting the provincial government with information and being able to act on it in our local communities,” he said.
Nijjar was a prominent supporter of the Khalistan separatism movement that advocates for a Sikh homeland in India’s Punjab province. He had been working to organize an unofficial referendum among the Sikh diaspora on independence from India at the time of his killing.
India designated Nijjar as a terrorist in 2020, an accusation he had denied.
Canada and India expelled each other’s diplomats in the fallout of Trudeau’s announcement, and India has halted visa services in Canada.
India’s government has denied the accusation as “absurd and motivated.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 22, 2023.
Trajectory for ‘Freedom Convoy’ organizers’ trial uncertain as third week begins
Hunter Biden sues the IRS over tax disclosures after agent testimony
As leaders convene, the UN pushes toward its crucial global goals. But progress is lagging
How Online Casinos Outsmart Their Competitors
COVID-192 days ago
Emergency manager to take the stand for third day at ‘Freedom Convoy’ trial
Bruce Dowbiggin1 day ago
If You Don’t Hear From Me, It’s Because I Don’t Hear From You.
Business1 day ago
Alberta deserves more than half CPP assets if it exits program: report
Alberta2 days ago
Alberta set to release report on whether to ditch CPP for provincial pension plan
Alberta1 day ago
Alberta to debate Canada Pension Plan, says it deserves half of fund if it leaves
Red Deer1 day ago
The Red Deer Polytechnic Alumni Association is inviting you to Palate: A Taste of Local
COVID-191 day ago
COVID-19 lawsuit too broad, paints all Quebec care homes with same brush: lawyer
Disaster1 day ago
Destructive West Kelowna, B.C., wildfire now considered ‘held’