Jayde Newton helps to set up cardboard gravestones with the names of victims of opioid abuse outside the courthouse where the Purdue Pharma bankruptcy is taking place in White Plains, N.Y., on Aug. 9, 2021. A three-judge panel of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York on Tuesday, May 30 overturned a lower court’s 2021 ruling that found bankruptcy courts did not have the authority to protect members of the Sackler family who own the company and who have not filed for bankruptcy protection from lawsuits. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)
By Geoff Mulvihill
A federal court ruling cleared the way Tuesday for OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma’s settlement of thousands of legal claims over the toll of opioids.
Under the plan approved by the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York, members of the wealthy Sackler family would give up ownership of Stamford, Connecticut-based Purdue, which would become a new company known as Knoa, with its profits being used to fight the opioid crisis. They would also contribute $5.5 billion to $6 billion in cash over time. A chunk of that money — at least $750 million — is to go to individual victims of the opioid crisis and their survivors. Only one other major opioid lawsuit settlement includes payments for victims.
Tuesday’s decision also protects members of the Sackler family from lawsuits over the toll of opioids, even though they did not file for bankruptcy.
The court’s ruling reversed a 2021 ruling that found bankruptcy court judges did not have the authority to approve a settlement that would offer bankruptcy protections for those who have not filed for bankruptcy.
Those protections are at the heart of the proposed deal that would end claims against Purdue filed by thousands of state, local and Native American tribal governments and other entities.
“It’s a great day for victims, some of who desperately need the money and have been waiting for this day for a long time,” said Ed Neiger, a lawyer representing individual victims.
Sackler family members have been clear: If they don’t get the legal protections, they won’t do their part of the deal.
“The Sackler families believe the long-awaited implementation of this resolution is critical to providing substantial resources for people and communities in need,” family members who own Purdue said in a statement Tuesday. “We are pleased with the Court’s decision to allow the agreement to move forward and look forward to it taking effect as soon as possible.”
Purdue issued its own statement, calling the ruling “a victory for Purdue’s creditors, including the states, local governments, and victims who overwhelmingly support the Plan of Reorganization.” The company said it would focus on delivering “billions of dollars of value for victim compensation, opioid crisis abatement, and overdose rescue medicines.”
Several states had been withholding support for the plan, but after a new round of negotiations last year, all of them came on board. That left just one high-profile objector: the Office of the U.S. Bankruptcy Trustee, an arm of the Justice Department.
A lawyer from that office told the 2nd Circuit in April 2022 that it’s a “fundamental inconsistency” that people who do not seek bankruptcy protection and have to give up most of their assets could be exempted from some lawsuits.
The Justice Department has not immediately said whether it would appeal Tuesday’s ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court. A spokesperson declined comment Tuesday.
The the latest version of the settlement must still be approved by a bankruptcy court judge before it can be finalized.
While Sackler family members still technically own Purdue, they stopped receiving money from the company years ago.
All three federal appeals judges who heard the Purdue case last year agreed that the Sackler family can be protected from lawsuits. But one — Richard Wesley — said in a separate opinion that he did so reluctantly, noting that while courts allow such deals they’re not explicitly allowed under bankruptcy law.
Purdue is perhaps the highest-profile player in the opioid industry. But several other drugmakers, distribution companies and pharmacies also have been sued by state and local governments. While a handful of cases have gone to trial, many also are being settled.
The total value of proposed and finalized settlements in recent years is more than $50 billion. Companies that have reached deals include drugmakers Johnson & Johnson and Teva; distribution giants AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health and McKesson; and pharmacy chains CVS, Walgreens and Walmart. Most of the money is required to be used to fight the opioid crisis, which has been linked to more than 500,000 deaths in the U.S. over the past two decades, including more than 70,000 a year recently.
In recent years, most of the deaths have been connected to fentanyl and other illicit synthetic opioids, not prescription painkillers.
B.C.’s local politicians push for expanding drug prohibitions where children gather
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry speaks at the legislature in Victoria, B.C., on Thursday, March 10, 2022. Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry will be discussing drug decriminalization and public drug use in the opening session of the annual Union of British Columbia Municipalities convention in Vancouver. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Local politicians from across British Columbia will vote this week on resolutions involving drug decriminalization, including expanding prohibitions on possession and use to parks, bus stops, sports fields and other places children gather.
Another resolution facing a vote at the annual Union of B.C. Municipalities convention in Vancouver asks the province to better fund mental health and addiction treatment, recovery services, overdose prevention and access to safe supply and drug testing
The resolution says there’s currently inadequate money to ensure the safety of people who use illicit drugs.
Both resolutions will go to a vote on Wednesday, with the funding proposal already endorsed by the group’s resolutions committee, which hasn’t taken a position on expanding prohibition zones.
The moves come after the federal government approved changes of a pilot project launched in B.C. earlier this year that decriminalizes possession of small amounts of illicit drugs.
The changes that came into force today prohibit possession within 15 metres of a park or child-focused space.
The five-day Union of B.C. Municipalities convention launched Monday with an opening session that included provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry discussing drug decriminalization and public drug use.
The proposed UBCM resolution on the issue urges the province to introduce Fall 2023 legislation to further regulate the “possession and use” of illicit drugs where children gather.
“(Concerns) have been raised by local governments since the pilot project began in January 2023 on the public use of illicit drugs in child focused spaces such as parks and playgrounds,” the resolution says.
Intoxication in all public places remains illegal.
More than 2,000 people are registered to attend the annual gathering of elected municipal leaders that concludes Friday with a speech by Premier David Eby.
UBCM president Jen Ford says the convention comes as communities tackle wildfires, housing woes, mental health and addictions, with some facing multiple emergencies.
She says municipal leaders are looking to the province to ease bureaucracy to access funds to make their communities safer from wildfires.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 18, 2023.
Change to B.C. drug decriminalization policy prohibits use near playgrounds, parks
People are framed by wildflowers while walking a dog on a pathway at Garry Point Park, in Richmond, B.C., on Thursday, May 18, 2023. The B.C. government says its drug decriminalization policy has been amended to stop people from using illegal substances near playgrounds and parks.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
The British Columbia government says its drug decriminalization policy has been amended to stop people from using illegal substances near playgrounds and parks.
The Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions says in a statement that the federal government approved the changes to its drug decriminalization policy.
The federal government gave the province an exemption from the law in May last year to allow for the removal of criminal penalties for people caught with a small amount of illicit drugs for personal use.
The new changes mean illegal drug possession within 15 metres of playgrounds, waterparks and skate parks will be prohibited as of Sept. 18, although possession was already prohibited on school grounds and in child-care facilities.
The provincial government says the amendments mean police can again enforce federal drug laws if people are found with illegal drugs near “child-focused spaces.”
Victoria Mayor Marianne Alto says in the statement that while decriminalization is one part of the response to the toxic drug crisis, it’s important to take steps that specifically protect children.
Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim says the city had asked the provincial government to get Health Canada to make the change.
“This is a positive step forward in helping to find balance for our communities, including families, seniors, children, and our most vulnerable residents,” he said in a statement issued Thursday.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 14, 2023.
Hundreds of flying taxis to be made in Ohio, home of the Wright brothers and astronaut legends
CP NewsAlert: Unifor autoworkers in strike position as Ford contract expires
Backlog of air passenger complaints tops 57,000, hitting new peak
Pastor gets 60-day sentence for role in Alberta border blockade
Ontario court dismisses sex workers’ Charter challenge, rules laws constitutional
Canada’s inflation rate reaches four per cent in August: StatCan
American forward Taylor Heise taken first overall at inaugural PWHL draft
Top Story CP2 days ago
Man charged with first degree murder in shooting death of B.C. RCMP officer
Brownstone Institute2 days ago
The Covid Narrative Flunked the Critical Thinking Test
Business1 day ago
Moneris confirms credit and debit card processing outage, but offers few details
illegal immigration1 day ago
Migrants hoping to reach US continue north through Mexico by train amid historic migration levels
Brownstone Institute23 hours ago
The Great Demoralization
Alberta22 hours ago
Hot rental market makes search ‘stressful’ for many — and it won’t get better soon
Top Story CP20 hours ago
Ford workers in Canada ratify agreement, set precedent for other automakers