EDMONTON — Albertans struggling to enter the real-estate market have at least two chances to win a home this year.
A house south of Calgary and a historic bed and breakfast near the United States border, both valued at about $1.7 million, are up for grabs.
All one needs to do is pay an entry fee and submit an essay.
Owners of the two properties are among many in the province affected by a slumping real-estate market. Homes are listed for months without a single offer.
Alla Wagner, who has limited mobility after a fall, put her 5,000-square-foot (464-square-metre) house in Millarville, a hamlet in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies, up for sale last year so she could downsize to a smaller bungalow.
Her house was appraised at $3 million three years ago, she says. She first listed it at $1.9 million.
“The market is so low that I wasn’t even getting a single offer,” Wagner says. “It was very painful to watch.”
Instead of giving up, the 58-year-old decided to “think outside of the box.”
Wagner came up with a contest late last year called “Write a Letter, Win a House.” It asks people to explain how owning the home could change their lives. She set an entry fee at $25 and hoped to receive 65,000 entries to cover her investment in the house.
Entries poured in until late January, when Alberta Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis began investigating the contest.
“Along with the interest, there were also many people that weren’t fans of the competition and they were trying to find faults with it,” Wagner says.
Heather Holmen with the commission says it determined its gaming rules don’t apply to such a contest. The agency only has oversight on eligible licensed gaming activities.
Wagner says the investigation and managing the contest have affected her work and her health, but she wouldn’t do things differently.
“I have been reading incredible, incredible messages from people and letters of support.”
Wagner will pick the top 500 essays by July 5 and a panel of independent judges will choose a winner. If she doesn’t reach her monetary goal by then, she plans to return all entry fees.
A couple in Cardston, southwest of Lethbridge, decided to do the same thing when they heard Wagner’s story.
Marsha and Ivan Negrych had tried to sell their bed and breakfast so they can retire and continue raising two grandsons with special needs.
Cobblestone Manor was listed for more than a year without any strong offers.
“Chasing after two little boys and working a large restaurant, a bed and breakfast, and the large grounds is just too much,” Marsha Negrych says.
The 71-year-old says her health is deteriorating and her doctor has told her to stop working.
The contest for the 7,000-square-foot (650-square-metre) property, which is designated as an Alberta Historic Resource, started May 1 and runs until Oct. 31. The couple set the entry fee at $100.
The manor started as a log home built in 1889 by the first Mormon pioneers to settle in southern Alberta. In 1913, a Belgian carpenter built an addition with river rocks, rare hardwood and stained glass from Italy.
Negrych says she hopes whoever ends up with the property will preserve its history.
Ann-Marie Lurie, an economist with the Alberta Real Estate Association, says demand in the province’s housing market has been weak over the last few years, particularly for higher-priced homes.
It’s partly due to lower oil prices, higher unemployment rates and concerns over Alberta’s slumping economy, she says.
“We’ve also had interest rate increases and a new stress test that came in 2018,” Lurie says. “The combined impact of all of those things together has been weighing on our housing market.”
The Calgary area has been the hardest hit, she adds, since many high-paying oil sector jobs were based there.
In the Edmonton area, where the market is also saturated, one real-estate agent put a person in an orange T. Rex costume in photos of a home that had been listed for months.
Erin Hettle told media in December that did increase interest for the four-bedroom split level.
Five months later, however, the house is still on the market.
Daniela Germano, The Canadian Press
Most unused COVID-19 vaccines will expire at the end of the year: auditor general
By Laura Osman in Ottawa
Tens of millions of doses of COVID-19 vaccines are likely about to expire and go to waste because of a failure to manage an oversupply, Canada’s auditor general reported Tuesday — a failure with an estimated price tag of about $1 billion.
Karen Hogan has released the results of her office’s investigation into the government’s efforts to get ahold of COVID-19 vaccine doses in the early days of the pandemic, and track how many people got them.
The auditor gave the Public Health Agency of Canada and the Procurement Department a thumbs up when it came to quickly getting enough doses into the country to meet vaccination goals, but said the government did a much poorer job of managing all that supply.
“We found that the Public Health Agency of Canada was unsuccessful in its efforts to minimize vaccine wastage,” Hogan wrote in the report.
The government knew that by signing advanced purchase agreements with a number of pharmaceutical companies there was a risk of buying up more COVID-19 vaccines than Canadians needed.
PHAC and the federal government signed deals with seven companies that were developing vaccines in 2020 and 2021, in case only a few them were approved by Health Canada.
So far six of those have been authorized by the drug review agency.
“In my view, it was a prudent approach given all the uncertainty back in 2020,” she said at a press conference Tuesday.
The auditor found that about half of the 169 million doses the government paid for have made it into the arms of Canadians between December 2020 and May 2022.
The federal government announced plans to donate some 50 million surplus doses to other countries, but as of May 31 only about 15 million had been given away and another 13.6 million expired before they could be donated.
Canada has offered the remaining 21.7 million doses to other countries but so many countries are now offering donations that the market is saturated, Hogan said, and those vaccines will be wasted if they are not distributed soon.
There were also 32.5 million doses in federal and provincial inventories by the end of the audit period in May, worth about $1 billion, based on the auditor’s estimate.
Hogan said in her report that the majority of those doses will expire by the end of 2022.
Hogan said the public health agency informed her that another 10 million have expired since the end of the audit and another 11 million were donated.
Part of the problem, she said, was that provinces and territories did not communicate and share data with PHAC.
“Although some provinces and territories consistently reported to the agency, the agency was unable to obtain complete data from most. This meant that the status of these doses was unknown and reduced the agency’s ability to predict supply needs and plan for donations,” the report said.
The auditor general’s office and the public health agency itself warned for a decade before the COVID-19 pandemic that there were serious gaps in the federal and provincial health data sharing plans.
In January 2021, Deloitte Inc. was awarded a $59.1 million contract to come up with a national vaccine management system called VaccineConnect to share timely information about vaccine distribution, coverage and safety.
Some elements of that program were up and running on time, but others were delayed and the auditor found that PHAC was instead using spreadsheets to manually track expiration dates and waste as of June 2021.
The information silos made it difficult for vaccine companies to monitor national safety indicators of their products, as they’ve been ordered to by Health Canada.
“Companies cannot entirely fulfil this requirement when they do not have access to the necessary data on adverse events,” the report said.
Hogan found two incidents in 2021 where companies learned of adverse effects to their vaccines from the media and urgently requested the data from the government, but couldn’t get access to it for three months.
Canada is also the only G7 country that does not follow World Health Organization guidance to share case-level information about patients who have adverse effects after immunization, and instead sends only summary data.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 6, 2022.
Military was told to prepare to intervene in ‘Freedom Convoy’ protests: official
OTTAWA — The Defence Department’s top official says he directed the military to prepare to intervene in the “Freedom Convoy” protests earlier this year, but the resulting plans were never seriously considered — in part due to concerns about another Oka Crisis.
Deputy minister Bill Matthews and another top defence official also said the Canadian Armed Forces was prepared to fly police officers to demonstration sites across the country, but that its tow trucks were too big — and too old — to help with the protests.
Matthews and Defence Department associate deputy minister Stefanie Beck made the comments in an August interview with lawyers for the public inquiry looking into the Liberal government’s decision to use the Emergencies Act to end the protests.
A summary of that interview is among thousands of documents released by the Public Order Emergency Commission, which will ultimately determine whether the government was justified in invoking the act in February.
Neither was called to publicly testify before the commission.
The Liberals faced public calls in January and February to deploy the military as thousands of protesters opposed to vaccine mandates and pandemic restrictions gridlocked Ottawa and border crossings with the United States for three weeks.
The inquiry was also shown text messages in recent weeks in which federal Justice Minister David Lametti and then-Alberta premier Jason Kenney raised the prospect of using the military alongside police to clear protesters.
In one text exchange, Lametti and Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino raised the idea of using a tank to end the protests. Lametti told the commission last week that the exchange was a joke.
Lametti and Defence Minister Anita Anand instead told the commission that the military was always considered a last resort — a position that Matthews and Beck echoed in their interview with commission lawyers.
Both defence officials “strongly emphasized that CAF members are not police officers,” the summary reads.
“They are trained to use lethal force, not do crowd control. Indeed, the domestic use of military force is, and in their view should always be, seen as a last resort.”
Matthews did say he asked defence officials to prepare “for the possibility that the CAF might be called out to intervene in the protests,” with a number of scenarios and internal plans subsequently drawn up.
“These plans considered the use of military equipment, infrastructure and deployment of CAF members.”
Yet Matthews and Beck said it was clear throughout the planning process that the government and the minister did not want to use the military due to fears “deploying the military in any way would inflame tensions with the protesters.”
The two officials “noted that the shadow of the Oka Crisis still looms large,” reads the summary.
On July 11, 1990, Quebec provincial police moved in on a barricade near the small town, which is about 50 kilometres northwest of Montreal. The barricade was erected by Indigenous activists to protest the planned expansion of a golf course and development on ancestral land.
After a police officer was killed, the situation escalated into a tense, 78-day standoff between Mohawk and thousands of Canadian soldiers that captured the country’s attention and raised enduring concerns about using the military in protests.
Matthews and Beck told the commission lawyers that they shared their concerns about a possible repeat of the crisis with senior officials in other departments, but that the military’s actual plans were not shared with them or with Anand.
“It was a necessary planning exercise, but the option of deploying the CAF was never seriously considered.”
The military did end up providing limited support to law enforcement efforts, with Ottawa police using the Cartier Drill Hall in downtown Ottawa as a staging area. It also provided 1,200 ration packs to the Parliamentary Protective Service.
The Defence Department and Armed Forces expected and considered requests for military planes to fly police to various parts of the country, but Matthews and Beck said domestic flights ended up being adequate.
Officials also considered whether the military could be used to clear protesters’ trucks from downtown Ottawa, the border crossing in Coutts, Alta., and other places where local officials were having trouble getting local tow companies to help.
However, Matthews and Beck said that ultimately wasn’t an option as the military’s own tow trucks weren’t designed for the types of vehicles involved in the protests, and using them would damage not only those vehicles but also any roads driven upon.
There were also concerns that moving the military’s tow trucks would represent a “significant logistical effort” and could have “drawn significant attention to themselves and the CAF members operating them.”
“Third, the trucks are quite old and require frequent maintenance,” the interview summary adds. “DND has plans to replace these trucks.”
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 1, 2022.
Lee Berthiaume, The Canadian Press
Over 100 stolen vehicles, plus trailers, farm equipment and machinery seized by police in East Central Alberta
Premier Smith goes on the attack against NDP opposition to the Alberta Sovereignty Act
Feds eyeing repatriation of 19 Canadian women and children held in Syria: document
Reducing funding for RCMP on the table for Saskatchewan amid firearm buyback debate
Alberta1 day ago
Former CannTrust compliance worker says unlicensed growing ‘very openly’ discussed
Alberta22 hours ago
Suspect in massive fentanyl bust arrested in Edmonton
Alberta24 hours ago
RCMP officer-involved shooting causing death in Maskwacis
Alberta1 day ago
Red Deer Polytechnic Means More for Students, Industry and Communities across Alberta
RCMP7 hours ago
UPDATE: Red Deer family found – safe
Alberta5 hours ago
CannTrust CEO was warned over illicit pot growing: former compliance worker
Agriculture1 day ago
Avian flu causing turkey shortage ahead of Christmas: BC Poultry Association
Bruce Dowbiggin2 hours ago
Misconduct: NHL Succumbs To Non-Binary Power Play