Connect with us
[bsa_pro_ad_space id=12]

Top Story CP

Lee Kun-Hee, force behind Samsung’s rise, dies at 78

Published

1 minute read

SEOUL, Korea, Republic Of — Lee Kun-Hee, the ailing Samsung Electronics chairman who transformed the small television maker into a global giant of consumer electronics, has died. He was 78.

A Samsung statement said Lee died on Sunday with his family members, including his son and de facto company chief Lee Jae-yong, by his side.

Lee Kun-Hee had been hospitalized since May 2014 after suffering a heart attack and the younger Lee has run Samsung, the biggest company in South Korea.

The Samsung statement says “all of us at Samsung will cherish his memory and are grateful for the journey we shared with him.”

Lee Kun-hee inherited control from his father and during his nearly 30 years of leadership, Samsung Electronics Co. became a global brand and the world’s largest maker of smartphones, televisions and memory chips. Samsung sells Galaxy phones while also making the screens and microchips that power its rivals, Apple’s iPhones and Google Android phones.

It is South Korea’s largest family-controlled business conglomerate and helped make the nation’s economy, Asia’s fourth-largest. Its businesses encompass shipbuilding, life insurance, construction, hotels, amusement park operation and more.

Samsung Electronics alone accounts for 20% of the market capital on South Korea’s main stock market.

Lee leaves behind immense wealth, with Forbes estimating his fortune at $16 billion as of January 2017.

The Associated Press

Storytelling is in our DNA. We provide credible, compelling multimedia storytelling and services in English and French to help captivate your digital, broadcast and print audiences. As Canada’s national news agency for 100 years, we give Canadians an unbiased news source, driven by truth, accuracy and timeliness.

Follow Author

Top Story CP

Boy dead, officer injured in Kawartha Lakes, Ont.; police watchdog investigating

Published on

Ontario’s police watchdog says a one-year-old boy has died, his father was shot and a provincial police officer was injured in an incident in Kawartha Lakes. 

A spokeswoman for the Special Investigations Unit says police were investigating after a man allegedly abducted his young son. 

Monica Hudon says they located a vehicle of interest, which then crashed into an OPP cruiser and another civilian vehicle. 

An officer who was outside the cruiser suffered serious injuries, and is now in stable condition in hospital. 

Hudon says there was an “interaction” and three officers then shot at the man, who was “gravely” injured and airlifted to hospital. 

She says police then found the 33-year-old man’s son dead in his vehicle. 

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 26, 2020.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

Top Story CP

Canadian Press NewsAlert: Sentence reduced for Quebec City mosque shooter

Published on

Quebec’s highest court has declared unconstitutional a provision of the Criminal Code that allows for life sentences to be served consecutively, reducing the sentence given to the man who killed six people in a Quebec City mosque in 2017.

Alexandre Bissonnette was sentenced in February 2019 to life in prison with no possibility of parole for 40 years.

With today’s decision from the Quebec Court of Appeal, Bissonnette will be eligible to apply for parole after serving 25 years.

Since 2011, the Criminal Code has allowed judges to impose consecutive sentences for multiple murders in blocks of 25 years, but the trial judge in Bissonnette’s case rewrote the law and instead sentenced the killer to 40 years.

Bissonnette pleaded guilty in March 2018 to six counts of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder. His victims were Mamadou Tanou Barry, 42; Abdelkrim Hassane, 41; Khaled Belkacemi, 60; Aboubaker Thabti, 44; Azzeddine Soufiane, 57; and Ibrahima Barry, 39.

More coming.

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading
;

Trending

X