Connect with us

Alberta

Alberta NDP Leader Rachel Notley apologizes over mistreatment of volunteers, staff

Published

6 minute read

By Dean Bennett in Edmonton, Alberta, Canda

Alberta NDP Leader Rachel Notley apologized to her members Sunday over reports she revealed last week of mistreatment of party staff and volunteers.

“It is clear that in some cases we have fallen short. We’ve heard concerns expressed about that,” Notley said in a speech in Red Deer at the party’s provincial council — a meeting of legislature members, volunteers, staff and executives.

“As your leader I take responsibility for this, and I apologize.

“I take responsibility now for ensuring that the directions that you have given us this weekend are carried out.”

Delegates at the weekend meeting approved multiple measures recommended by Notley and the executive to address workplace concerns, including engaging a third-party to investigate and resolve workplace respect and harassment complaints.

The NDP will also be hiring a third party to review and if necessary improve on existing human resources and codes of conduct policies.

Notley added, “And all executive staff, including myself, will take additional respectful workplace training because we know we can always grow. We can always improve, and we can always learn more.”

The change comes almost two weeks after a letter written to Notley and the executive in early March by 15 NDP constituency presidents and regional vice-presidents was revealed in the media.

The 15 letter writers called for an independent third-party review of what they termed “a pattern” of mistreatment of volunteers.

The letter did not specify the type of alleged abuse, but multiple volunteers and former volunteers have told The Canadian Press of repeated instances of being verbally abused by staff, belittled and harangued in one-on-one sessions or in groups.

Notley, in an interview Sunday, said the third-party will investigate not only future workplace concerns but also take on any ongoing complaints or concerns of prior behaviour.

“We’ve had a very developed anti-harassment policy in place since 2014, but obviously not everyone felt that they could use it, maybe they didn’t feel it was independent enough,” said Notley.

“So the purpose behind this is to ensure that people maybe in the past didn’t feel they couldn’t use it will feel more comfortable (doing so now).”

The letter writers also called for changes to how the party selects candidates to run in the upcoming election.

The 15 said there was a lack of clarity and timelines and said vetting of some candidates was taking more than year, leading to concerns of favouritism toward certain candidates.

They also said that concerns of constituency associations have been left out of the loop on discussions affecting their areas and that their feedback to party central was being ignored.

“We commit to addressing the outstanding matters that were raised by our constituency associations from many different corners of this province — in their March letter — by the end of July,” Notley said during her speech.

“And we will complete the vetting of candidates who are currently in the process by August.”

In recent weeks a number of former and current party members have expressed concern with how the party handled the letter.

The two caucus co-chairs for the party executive’s disability caucus, in a letter distributed June 7 to the executive and obtained by The Canadian Press, called for a full independent investigation into all allegations, “including abusive conduct towards volunteers, lack of transparency regarding the vetting process, and the favouritism of party-selected candidates.”

Co-chairs Justin Reinke and Clare Hickie also wrote that while they appreciated the executive trying to solve the issue in-house, “the breadth and depth of these allegations have made it clear that this will not be adequate to fully and impartially investigate these allegations and provide the transparency and accountability to our membership to ensure we can move forward.”

On Friday, Wyatt Tanton, an outspoken volunteer and one-time candidate nominee from Camrose, posted on social media that he was leaving the party, saying he wants the party to succeed but can’t stay because he doesn’t feel he can change the current culture from the inside.

“My story is one of many which span a range of extremely serious allegations of misconduct within the party,” wrote Tanton.

“(The party) is incapable of succeeding in forming government and leading this province while it is burdened by the tremendous weight of a deep, systemic rot.”

Notley, in her speech, said the party has well over a third of their 87 candidates selected, to go with a robust $6.1 million in fundraising over the last fiscal year.

“It is this kind of momentum that is made possible by teamwork,” said Notley.

“So, to all our staff: Thank you for growing our party.

“And I promise you, you will be respected as working people because that is one of our core values as New Democrats.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 19, 2022.

Storytelling is in our DNA. We provide credible, compelling multimedia storytelling and services in English and French to help captivate your digital, broadcast and print audiences. As Canada’s national news agency for 100 years, we give Canadians an unbiased news source, driven by truth, accuracy and timeliness.

Follow Author

Alberta

Alberta extends electricity rebate program until December at a cost of about $600M

Published on

Edmonton – The Alberta government says it will extend its electricity rebates until the end of the year as the cost of living continues to rise.

Dale Nally, who’s the associate minister of natural gas and electricity, says the United Conservative government is doubling the rebate to help reduce the financial burden on Albertans.

The government says the electricity rebate program will now offer about $600 million in relief through 2022.

It says the program will provide nearly two million homes, farms and small businesses with a monthly $50 bill credit each month from July until December.

The government says it will also provide a natural gas rebate to millions of Albertans starting in October, which will continue until March 2023 if prices remain high.

Last week, Finance Minister Jason Nixon announced a $3.9-billion surplus for the 2021-22 fiscal year ending March 31.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 6, 2022.

Continue Reading

Alberta

Telus Corp. marks opening of Telus Sky in downtown Calgary

Published on

CALGARY — Telus Corp. marked the opening of its new 60-storey Calgary headquarters on Wednesday.

The new $400-million skyscraper, Telus Sky, has been in development for nine years and is now the third-tallest building in downtown Calgary. It features 750,000 square feet of office and retail space as well as 326 rental homes.

The building’s eye-catching design, by architects Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) and Dialog, along with developer partner Westbank and Allied, starts with a rectangular floorplate and then gradually twists as it rises.

Integrated into the facade of Telus Sky is Canada’s largest public art display. “Northern Lights” by Canadian author and artist, Douglas Coupland, creates a light show across the building’s exterior.

Telus Sky will be home to more than 1,600 Telus employees. It joins TELUS Garden in Vancouver, TELUS Harbour Toronto, TELUS House Ottawa, and Place TELUS Québec as one of the company’s LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum-certified buildings.

Among the building’s environmental features is a storm water management system that recycles rainwater for use in washroom toilets, reducing the building’s municipal water demand by 70 per cent.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 6, 2022.

Companies in this story: (TSX:T)

Amanda Stephenson, The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

july, 2022

thu14jul5:30 pm7:30 pmPregnancy & Loss Support Group - Zoom Session5:30 pm - 7:30 pm

Trending

X