Connect with us
[bsa_pro_ad_space id=12]

National

Accused in death of Winnipeg woman found in barrel controlled 5 women: Crown

Published

WINNIPEG — A Crown prosecutor says a man on trial for first-degree murder maintained control over multiple women he lived with through surveillance, drugs and abuse.

Perez Cleveland, 46, has pleaded not guilty in the death of Jennifer Barrett, 42, whose body was found in a barrel behind their Winnipeg home in December 2016.

Prosecutor Breta Passler told a jury during opening arguments on Tuesday that the case is about “one man’s control over six women.”

“They did unthinkable acts at his behest,” Passler said.

Court heard that Cleveland was living in the home with his adult daughter and five women described as his domestic partners.

Some of the women had been in a romantic relationship with Cleveland for many years when Barrett joined them in 2012.

In the summer of 2016, Cleveland became convinced that Barrett was cheating on him, Passler said. She was locked in the basement and tortured for days before she was killed.

Cleveland told two of the women that Barrett had left town, Passler said, and he ordered two others to dispose of her body.

Chemicals were used to speed up decomposition, added Passler, and Barrett’s remains were identified through DNA testing.

One of the women eventually escaped the abuse and went to police, Passler told the jury.

Dennis Wiebe, a real estate agent who also managed the property where Cleveland and the women lived, testified that he met Barrett in June 2016 when she signed the lease on the home.

She told him she was a nurse at St. Boniface Hospital and that she would be staying in the home with her husband and daughter, Wiebe said.

After they moved in, Wiebe said he stopped getting rent money. In August of that year, Barrett gave him $2,000 cash and promised more was coming.

“That was the last time I saw her in person,” Wiebe said.

A couple months later, Barrett stopped answering phone calls and text messages, Wiebe said. So he began to deal with other people in the home about the rent.

The man identified as Barrett’s husband said he didn’t know where Barrett was, Wiebe said.

In November, Wiebe took back possession of the house, changed the locks and started to clean out the property. 

Animal feces was all over the house, the basement and garage were filled with plastic bags and garbage, and stairs down to basement had been painted, he testified. The door handle to the basement had also been replaced with a keypad lock, Wiebe said.

A sealed barrel was found in the backyard but it was too heavy to move to the dump, Wiebe told court.

Soon after, he got a call from city police.

Jason Dee, an officer with the police identification unit, testified that when the barrel was opened, it became clear what was inside.

“We soon saw what we believed to be a body,” he told court.

Inside the home, officers found a hand-written relationship contract between Barrett and Cleveland signed and dated in 2013, Dee said.

There was also evidence of blood in the basement, but Dee said he did not know how long it had been there.

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press

Advertisement [bsa_pro_ad_space id=12]

National

Seamus O’Regan faces calls to visit Attawapiskat during state of emergency

Published

on

Dwelling in Attawapiskat

OTTAWA — Indigenous Services Minister Seamus O’Regan is facing calls from the federal NDP to visit the northern Ontario community of Attawapiskat First Nation.

Earlier this month, the community declared a state of emergency over concerns about chemical levels in tap water.

NDP MP Charlie Angus, who represents the federal riding encompassing the reserve, is meeting with the community today and says O’Regan needs to see the impacts of the issue first-hand, including that community members are worried about being able to safety bathe their children.

Attawapiskat has drawn national attention for its 2012 housing crisis and it has also faced issues with youth suicide.

Former chief Theresa Spence, who launched a high-profile protest over the housing situation, has also started a hunger strike over water concerns.

O’Regan’s office says that addressing the water issue in full partnership with the First Nation is a top priority, adding it knows recent test results have raised concerns.

 

 

The Canadian Press

Continue Reading

National

Trudeau to push trade pact in EU leaders’ summit as France moves ahead on CETA

Published

on

Trudeau to push trade pact with EU

MONTREAL — Lawmakers in France have begun their ratification of the comprehensive trade agreement between the European Union and Canada as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau welcomes the leaders of the 28-country bloc to Montreal on Wednesday.

Trudeau has been pushing hard for a win on trade and foreign policy after two difficult years marked by a rough renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement with the Trump administration and the deterioration of political and trade relations with China.

Trudeau will talk up the merits of the Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement, or CETA, with European Council President Donald Tusk and European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker in a series of events in Montreal over the next two days.

The group is to visit a pier in the bustling Port of Montreal, the gateway for European sea shipments into Canada.

International trade lawyer Lawrence Herman said that’s a welcome break from the resort-style backdrops that Trudeau and other prime ministers have preferred when they host international visitors.

“Appearing at the Port of Montreal in this era is much better than appearing at Lake Louise or Banff. The message we want to give is Canada is a leading economic force in the world,” said Herman.

“Meeting in Montreal or in any major urban centre gives that message much better than the typical image of Canada being a wilderness country full of mountains and streams.”

Wednesday’s legal development, the French National Assembly’s consideration of France’s CETA ratification bill, is also a prime focus for Canada’s Liberal prime minister, who will be fighting a federal election this fall.

Sources in France and Canada, who were not authorized to speak publicly about the talks, say Trudeau lobbied French President Emmanuel Macron for more than a year to introduce the bill, and that those efforts finally paid off last month in Paris during their most recent face-to-face meeting.

Almost all of CETA — in excess of 90 per cent — went into force in September 2017 under what is known as provisional application, but individual ratifications by EU member countries will bring it fully into effect.

That would mean a win for the international trading order that has been under assault by U.S. President Donald Trump.

“It’s an essential step. We’re very pleased with our co-operation with the French government,” International Trade Minister Jim Carr said in an interview.

Carr will be meeting his EU counterpart Cecilia Malmstrom in Montreal. He said the French move towards ratification is a significant step in Canada’s broader goal of diversifying Canada’s export markets.

Trudeau was in Paris in early June after attending the 75th anniversary commemorations of D-Day in France and Britain, and he and Macron emerged with news that France would move forward with CETA’s ratification. The introduction of the bill in the National Assembly is a first step in a process that the French government hopes will lead to full ratification by the end of 2019.

Macron and Trudeau have talked about the agreement repeatedly — in Paris in April 2018, in a telephone conversation a year later, and other face-to-face meetings. Macron is a staunch Europhile and open supporter of CETA, but he has had to tread cautiously because of populist opposition to trade deals in France and across Europe.

Canada has lobbied French lawmakers, businesspeople and farmers, an effort that included more than two dozen visits to various regions of France by Isabelle Hudon, the Canadian ambassador.

Trudeau also made a direct appeal to French lawmakers in an April 2018 speech to the National Assembly, the first time a Canadian prime minister addressed that body.

Earlier this week, Trump signed an executive order strengthening his protectionist Buy American Act, which requires federal agencies to increase their use of American-made products from 50 to 75 per cent.

Herman said Canadian companies need to be more aggressive in taking advantage of the new opportunities now open to them in Europe, especially its new “privileged” access to national and sub national government contracts in a sector valued at $3.3 trillion annually.

“As the U.S. turns inward and as protectionism raises its ugly face in the U.S. we have to look at other opportunities. And I think procurement is one of the areas where we have great possibility in Europe.”

CETA gives Canadian businesses preferred access to 500 million European consumers, and a $24-trillion market. In 2018, Canada’s exports to the EU increased by seven per cent to more than $44 billion.

But the Canadian Agri-Food Trade Alliance offered mixed reviews on the deal, saying EU agri-food exports to Canada jumped 10 per cent in 2018, compared with the previous year, which increased Canada’s trade deficit with the EU to $3.5 billion.

Meanwhile, Canadian agri-food exports to the EU have dropped 10 per cent since CETA’s 2017 entry into force, the alliance said.

Mike Blanchfield, The Canadian Press


Continue Reading

july, 2019

thu18jul(jul 18)12:00 pmmon29(jul 29)8:00 pmTaste of Edmonton12:00 pm - 8:00 pm (29)

sun21jul11:00 am2:00 pmOne Eleven Jazzy Brunch11:00 am - 2:00 pm

fri26jul6:00 pm9:00 pmTaste of Red DeerSummer Just Got More Delicious!6:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Trending

X